Read motor datasheet to march demands

by dislect
Tags: datasheet, demands, march, motor
Share this thread:
dislect
Aug21-14, 03:49 AM
P: 165
Hi guys,

I want a linear stepping motor to be able to apply an equivalent force 10 newton to push a syringe.
How do I read the data sheet here : http://www.haydonkerk.com/LinearActu...5/Default.aspx

To know if the motor is capable of applying such force?

Thanks,
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
russ_watters
Aug21-14, 05:49 AM
Mentor
P: 22,313
Hi,
There's more work to do before selecting the motor. You want linear force, but motors rotate, so you need to design a machine to do the conversion. You need to know the length of the linear motion and its speed, then design a mechanism and probably a gearbox.
dislect
Aug21-14, 05:58 AM
P: 165
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Hi,
There's more work to do before selecting the motor. You want linear force, but motors rotate, so you need to design a machine to do the conversion. You need to know the length of the linear motion and its speed, then design a mechanism and probably a gearbox.
Hi, if you take a look at the page the motor has a threaded rod going through it so its already a linear motion.

milesyoung
Aug21-14, 06:13 AM
P: 532
Read motor datasheet to march demands

Quote Quote by dislect View Post
How do I read the data sheet here : http://www.haydonkerk.com/LinearActu...5/Default.aspx

To know if the motor is capable of applying such force?
It will depend on the speed at which you extend the actuator. Its power output is given by its linear velocity times the force it's developing, so you have a constraint there (since its power output is limited).

There's a graph of this relationship at the bottom of the page you linked.

Register to reply