How skin reduces impact force on bones

In summary, skin serves as a protective layer by flexing and stretching to spread out and redistribute force evenly, with the soft tissue playing a key role. However, skin alone may not provide enough protection from impact, as seen in cases of head and shin injuries. Muscles and fat also play a significant role in protecting bones, as evident in the use of helmets and shin protectors. The idea of using multiple layers to decrease altitude and spread out impact force, as seen in movies, can potentially be supported by physics principles.
lovegovapvn
I am very interest in knowing about how skin reduced force that can damage bone.

I guess it act like a protective layer by flexing and stretching such as a trampoline. Also skin redistribute the force and spread out evenly and the soft tissue play role here too. Please help if someone have any information related to this topic or interest to comments. I'll get in more detail about energy etc when I am back to my physics book _ _! .

Thank for any concerns

PS: I'll review a really cool idea that I have when this solve :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think skin alone makes much difference at all (ever bang your shin into a low table or bang your head?) it's the skin spreading the force out through the soft tissue behind the skin.

This sounds interesting!
I personally think skin wouldn't do that much, other than changing the impact time thereby decreasing the average amount of force applied over time. I think it is more than the skin that helps with impact.
As phinds said the head banging and the shin banging show that it seems to be more of the tissue rather than just the skin.

I think muscles and fat protect our bones better.

derek10 said:
I think muscles and fat protect our bones better.
Yeah, that's why you see helmets and shin protectors, but rarely butt protectors.

I see haha, I was trying to calculate these factors. Cause I wonder if a person fall down from a building, can a giant hand safe he/she from the gravity crush. Also, if the person was stopped with multiple layers decreasing altitude when fall down. Like if you watch movie, the hero jump down from tall building and grab trees' branches as he/she fall down or when someone parachutes broke they fall down on tree branches that hold them and help them survive. I just try to prove that it is possible by physics principles

What is the purpose of skin in reducing impact force on bones?

The primary purpose of skin is to serve as a protective barrier for the body. In the case of impact force on bones, the skin acts as a cushion to absorb and distribute the force, thereby reducing its impact on the bones.

How does skin thickness affect its ability to reduce impact force on bones?

The thicker the skin, the more layers it has to absorb and distribute impact force. Therefore, thicker skin is generally more effective at reducing impact force on bones compared to thinner skin.

What role do muscles play in the skin's ability to reduce impact force on bones?

Muscles are closely connected to skin and serve as a secondary layer of protection for bones. When the skin absorbs impact force, the muscles also contract to further reduce the force on the bones.

Does skin color affect its ability to reduce impact force on bones?

No, skin color does not have any direct impact on its ability to reduce impact force on bones. However, individuals with darker skin may have thicker skin, which could provide better protection against impact force.

Can skin become less effective at reducing impact force on bones over time?

Yes, as we age, our skin loses elasticity and becomes thinner, making it less effective at absorbing and distributing impact force. This is why older adults may be more prone to fractures and other bone injuries from falls or other impacts.