Anyone read "QFT in a Nutshell" by Zee?

• Thread starter UVCatastrophe
  • Start date
In summary, in Chapter IV.3 of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell] by A. Zee (2nd Edition), there is a section titled "Wisdom of the son-in-law" which is a play on words referring to "Le gendre" in French, meaning "The son-in-law". This is a joke related to Legendre transformations, and the phrase also has some ironic connotations in other languages such as Spanish and English. Overall, this adds a bit of humor to a difficult topic in the textbook.
UVCatastrophe
In Chapter IV.3 of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell] by A. Zee (2nd Edition), there is a section titled "Wisdom of the son-in-law".

My question is, WTH does that heading have to do with anything in the text? Is this just a common expression? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes... Zee is somewhat unconventional. I don't know what he refers to either. I googled the phrase and found some partial match with the Judgement of Solomon, but I can't really see how that is relevant.

Maybe Jona-Lasinio was Schwinger's son in law.

UVCatastrophe said:
In Chapter IV.3 of Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell] by A. Zee (2nd Edition), there is a section titled "Wisdom of the son-in-law".

My question is, WTH does that heading have to do with anything in the text? Is this just a common expression? I don't get it.

The answer is: "Le gendre" in French means "The son-in-law". Since he is talking about Legendre transformations, he made that joke. I only understood because I speak French.

Patrick

Last edited:
Also, it is almost an expression... in Spanish. In this language, "brother-in-law wisdom" refers to the tipical chit-chat conversation in family meetings, such as the ones in Xmas, where usually there is a "brother-in-law", a "cuñado", who pretends to know about everything. Funny coincidence.

Last edited:
nrqed said:
The answer is: "Le gendre" in French means "The son-in-law". Since he is talking about Legendre transformations, he made that joke. I only understood because I speak French.

Patrick

Fantastic :')

In the UK the "mother-in-law" joke is a standard for comedians, the basic idea being that mother-in-law always thinks son-in-law is an idiot. So I would read "wisdom of the son-in-law" as being ironic.

Aren't QFT textbooks hard enough without making obscure jokes? I guess it's all part of the weeding out process...

What is the book "QFT in a Nutshell" by Zee about?

The book "QFT in a Nutshell" by Zee is an introductory textbook on quantum field theory, a branch of theoretical physics that studies the dynamics of subatomic particles and their interactions.

Who is the author of "QFT in a Nutshell"?

The author of "QFT in a Nutshell" is Anthony Zee, a theoretical physicist and professor at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Is "QFT in a Nutshell" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "QFT in a Nutshell" is a beginner-friendly textbook that assumes no prior knowledge of quantum field theory. However, a strong foundation in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics is recommended.

What topics are covered in "QFT in a Nutshell"?

"QFT in a Nutshell" covers the basics of quantum field theory, including classical fields, quantization, path integrals, Feynman diagrams, renormalization, and symmetry breaking. It also introduces more advanced topics such as supersymmetry and string theory.

Is "QFT in a Nutshell" a recommended resource for studying quantum field theory?

Yes, "QFT in a Nutshell" is highly recommended by many physicists as an excellent introductory textbook on quantum field theory. It is also used as a reference by graduate students and researchers in the field.