Eddy Current separators

by owen2612
Tags: current, eddy, separators
Share this thread:
owen2612
Aug22-14, 01:30 AM
P: 1
Hello
I am a graduate Mechanical Design Engineer who was recently offered a job (through a graduate scheme) at a company that develops Recycling and waste management systems. As part of this I have to design and develop an new eddy current separation system so that the company can build the product in-house.

I wanted to ask the following questions :

where would the best place to look for information on Eddy current separation technology?

How effective are current systems and can they feasibly be improved on?

Do certain non-ferrous metals have a higher capability of been pushed further forward.

Do large bits of waste get thrown further than small bits of waste?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
ESA investigates an alternative, environmental-friendly method of corrosion resistance
The oscillator that could makeover the mechanical watch
Engineers study bats to improve aviation travel
Greg Bernhardt
Aug27-14, 03:58 PM
Admin
P: 9,710
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
Babadag
Aug27-14, 10:52 PM
P: 60
I saw this kind of separation only on a belt conveyor for coal handling in a fossil power station.
See [for instance]:
http://www.sgt-promati.com/Nederland...%20ENGLISH.pdf

Baluncore
Aug28-14, 12:51 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,959
Eddy Current separators

Quote Quote by owen2612
where would the best place to look for information on Eddy current separation technology?
Search the web and the trade specific equipment suppliers.

Quote Quote by owen2612
How effective are current systems and can they feasibly be improved on?
Some are good and some can be improved. That is the way of the world. There is no simple answer.
The characteristics of the shredder before the separator needs to be matched to the separator. You must find the lowest cost solution by adjusting both systems to work together.

Quote Quote by owen2612
Do certain non-ferrous metals have a higher capability of been pushed further forward.
Yes, the electrical conductivity, magnetic properties and density are all important.

Quote Quote by owen2612
Do large bits of waste get thrown further than small bits of waste?
Mass rises as the cube of the dimension, surface area as the square. The eddy currents are induced only in the surface area. The material, shape and orientation have a big effect on the trajectory.

Register to reply