Relationship between light and sound

In summary: This is what is known as the Rayleigh scattering phenomenon.In summary, according to this post, light can affect sound indirectly by changing the medium through which it is traveling.
kalkish
Does light energy(waves) affect sound waves...? i read in one post that light affects sound indirectly.If yes how do we relate and calculate that..?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi kalkish! Welcome here to Physics Forums.

At first sight I'd say, No, lightwaves do not affect sound waves. But just be sure, can you please explain in more detail or post the reference you used? There may be more science (physics) underlying this.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

I'd say no, but the opposite is certainly true - sound waves will affect light, especially if the sound is extremely loud, as in the shockwave from an explotion. The increased density of air at the wavefront will change the index of refraction, causing optical distortion.

The only way to be sure is to devise an experiment, I didn't see any of the other posters citing a reference to their answers so would consider them more of a personal opinion at this point. But that is just me, perhaps they will cite reference(s) after reading my post (idk).

I would recommend using a combination of these resources:
1. tool(s) to measure sound intensity
2. various levels of sound/notes to test
3. various light intensities to test

scimeth.gif

Likes rcarbajal68
Hello,

What is the meaning of light energy affect the sound ?

In this experiment "Tesla Coil Control With XBOX Kinect" we could say that there is a relationship between light and sound.

Originally, a Tesla coil does not generate notes. Sound is a wave that reaches the ears by vibrating air. By extension, anything that can vibrating the air is likely to create the sound. For example, a loudspeaker is a transducer that changes an electrical vibration intensity by a magnet fixed to a membrane.

Electrical arcs generated by Tesla coil vibrating the air, like the diaphragm of a speaker.

Patrick

kalkish said:
i read in one post that light affects sound indirectly.

Which post? Can you give us a link? Then we can comment on the specific phenomenon that the post is talking about, instead of trying to guess what it is.

If the medium through which the sound is traveling is not transparent then light would heat the medium, changing its acoustic properties.

What is the relationship between light and sound?

Light and sound are both forms of energy that travel in waves. Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, while sound is a mechanical wave. Both can be described by their wavelength, frequency, and amplitude.

How does light affect sound?

Light can affect sound in several ways. For example, light can be reflected off of objects and cause sound to bounce off in a certain direction. Light can also be absorbed by objects, which can affect the way sound travels through them. Additionally, light can be used to control sound, such as in laser microphones.

What is the speed of light and sound?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. The speed of sound depends on the medium it is traveling through, but it is typically around 343 meters per second in air at room temperature.

How are light and sound similar?

Light and sound are both forms of energy that travel in waves. They both have properties such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. Both can also be reflected, refracted, and diffracted.

How are light and sound different?

Light and sound differ in several ways. Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, while sound is a mechanical wave. Light can travel through a vacuum, while sound needs a medium to travel through. Light also travels much faster than sound. Additionally, light can be seen by the human eye, while sound is only audible.