Discover the Best Alternative to Wires: Transmission of EM Waves

In summary: If you are just wanting to experiment with transmitting voice or other short-range signals, then perhaps a basic short-wave radio kit would suffice. If you are looking to build something more complex, or are hoping to transmit longer range signals, then you will need to purchase more specialized components.
Jamesangelo
A lot of electronic hobbyists would want to transmit information, signals through a medium other than the usual rope called wire or cables As this is a bit old fashion to have wires as a means of sending switches. So here let's share ideas on how to produce Electromagnetic wave... The only substitute for wireless connection apart from optical fibre

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First you need a resonance circuit... It took me years to understand how simple this gem work

That's fairly broad. There are plenty of kits that hobbyists can use to work with radio. A little Googling will lead you to page after page of them. Do you have a more specific question?

By the way, you can communicate wirelessly with radio waves, sound waves, and light. Light communication is typically done with infra-red. Most people would probably say that fiber optic lines are a wired connection.

Don't you think its a bit challenging , especially for us that live in a third world countries Like Nigeria. We don't have access to all those kits . so here I find my way to build things from scratch

I want to produce my own frequency of radio in which I wouldn't have to buy some IC because its a luxury to get such if at all there is

What are you trying build? A radio transmitter that transmits voice, or something else? Maybe just Morse code?
Also you say you can't get kits, but what can you get? Can you easily get other electronic components, like wire, resistors, capacitors, and inductors?

A radio, a flashlight, a burning match, and an electric arc, all fit the description of the OP.

Yea frank I can ... Quite easy for me to get capacitor of choice but that wouldn't apply to inductors...and even if am to just wined a coil around some soft core...still the value will be obscure to me

Building a Radio (or other wire - less) link (transmitter and receiver) from scratch is not trivial and requires skill and test equipment. It could well be cheaper (and a lot faster) to locate some working second hand equipment. It all depends whether this is a one-off requirement or an on-going thing where your accumulated skills could be helpful.
Your specific requirement is highly relevant here.

1. What is an EM wave?

An EM (electromagnetic) wave is a type of energy that is made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. It is produced when an electric charge is accelerated, and it travels through space at the speed of light.

2. How are EM waves transmitted?

EM waves are transmitted through a medium or through free space. In a medium, such as air or water, the wave causes the particles in the medium to vibrate and transfer the energy. In free space, the wave does not need a medium and can travel indefinitely.

3. What factors affect the transmission of EM waves?

The transmission of EM waves can be affected by several factors, including the frequency of the wave, the distance it needs to travel, and the properties of the medium it is traveling through. Other factors such as interference and absorption can also impact the transmission of EM waves.

4. How do EM waves interact with matter?

When an EM wave encounters matter, it can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The amount of interaction depends on the properties of the matter, such as its density and composition, and the frequency of the EM wave. This interaction is the basis for many technologies, such as radio and radar.

5. How are EM waves used in everyday life?

EM waves have a wide range of uses in everyday life. Some common examples include radio and TV signals for communication, microwaves for cooking, and infrared waves for remote controls. EM waves are also used in medical imaging, such as X-rays, and in many industrial and scientific applications.