Turbulent heating of water.

In summary, the phenomenon being described is the Law of Conservation of Energy and the assumption made for the problem is reasonable, though there may be other factors to consider in a real-life scenario.
flatmaster
I am writing an intro physics problem about a flowing stream. I am going to assume that all of the gravitational potential energy eventually becomes thermal energy of the water. I haven't worked it yet, but I'm pretty sure the flow rate and g will both cancel out and give me a constant change in temperature per unit of elevation change.

Is there a specific name for this phenomenon?

How reasonable of an assumption is this? Some energy must go into eroding rock, making noise, etc.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm not sure which phenomenon you're specifically trying to name. Turbulent dissipation? Turbulent heating?

It doesn't seem that unreasonable for an "idealized" problem. In real life you would have some competing effects that would probably overwhelm the turbulent heating, including the gain in kinetic energy of the stream flow and heat exchange between the stream and the surroundings (especially the atmosphere which also tends to warm with decreasing elevation).

And sure, some energy might be lost to eroding/heating rocks, radiate away as acoustic or seismic waves to eventually heat something else, etc.

As an internet forum user, I would respond to this post by saying:

The phenomenon you are describing is known as the Law of Conservation of Energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In this case, the potential energy of the water is being transformed into thermal energy.

As for the reasonableness of your assumption, it depends on the specific situation and factors involved. While it is true that some energy may go into other processes such as erosion and noise, these are typically negligible compared to the overall energy transformation happening in the stream. It is a good starting point for your problem, but it's always important to consider all factors and make any necessary adjustments for a more accurate solution.

What is turbulent heating of water?

Turbulent heating of water refers to the process of transferring heat energy to water through the use of turbulent flow. This occurs when there is a significant amount of motion or agitation in the water, which helps to distribute heat more evenly throughout the liquid.

What causes turbulent heating of water?

Turbulent heating of water is caused by the movement of water particles, which creates turbulence. This can be due to external forces such as wind or mechanical agitation, or internal forces such as convection currents within the water.

Why is turbulent heating of water important?

Turbulent heating of water is important because it helps to mix the water and distribute heat more efficiently. This is especially useful in industrial processes, such as heating water for steam production, or in natural processes, such as ocean currents and weather patterns.

Can turbulent heating of water be controlled?

Yes, turbulent heating of water can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the flow rate, adding baffles or mixing devices, and controlling the temperature and velocity of the heating source. These methods can help to optimize the heating process and achieve desired results.

What are the applications of turbulent heating of water?

Turbulent heating of water has numerous applications, including heating water for industrial processes, mixing and distributing heat in natural bodies of water, and aiding in the growth and maintenance of aquatic ecosystems. It is also used in heating systems for buildings and in domestic water heaters for hot water supply.