Area for an ellipse

by cptolemy
Tags: ellipse
Share this thread:
cptolemy
Aug23-14, 12:47 PM
P: 7
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to know, in a keplerian orbit, how to calculate the area of a swaped area; since the Sun is at one of the focus, I wish to calculate given an angle measured from focus to the orbiting body, the area swaped.
I dont know if I'm explaning this right...Hope so.

Kind regards,

CPtolemy
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
The entropy of black holes
Modified theory of dark matter
Gaia discovers its first supernova
Mark44
Aug23-14, 12:52 PM
Mentor
P: 21,397
Quote Quote by cptolemy View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to know, in a keplerian orbit, how to calculate the area of a swaped area; since the Sun is at one of the focus, I wish to calculate given an angle measured from focus to the orbiting body, the area swaped.
I dont know if I'm explaning this right...Hope so.

Kind regards,

CPtolemy
swaped = ? What is this word?

Calculating the area of an ellipse is pretty straightforward. There are several formulas if you know the equation of the ellipse. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse#Area.
cptolemy
Aug23-14, 01:17 PM
P: 7
Hi,

I mean swept. Sorry for my english... :(

I don't want to know the entire area of the ellipse - just the swept area by the body.

Regards,

CPtolemy

HallsofIvy
Aug23-14, 03:24 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Area for an ellipse

I think he meant the area "swept out" by the planets motion- the area inside the elliptic orbit.

cptolemy, the area of an ellipse with major and minor axes of lengths a and b is [itex]\pi ab[/itex].
martiandawn
Aug24-14, 01:54 PM
P: 9
In Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Bate, Mueller and White, ISBN 0-486-60061-0, I can see the following equation:

dt = 2/h dA

h is the specific angular momentum, given by h = r v sin(γ), where γ is the flight path angle, i.e. the angle between the r and v vectors. This is consistent with Kepler's second law as h is a constant for a given orbit.

Register to reply