Register to reply

Displacement energy of atom in a liquid (for ion implantation)

Share this thread:
AllenJH
Aug25-14, 04:34 PM
P: 2
Hi Physics Forums!

I'm a bit stuck here. I'm fairly sure I intuitively know the answer here, but am looking for harder proof. The following question is in regards to my current research work (materials sci/eng).

Does anyone know of a discussion of the displacement energy of an atom in a liquid? (say a metal alloy) My particular work deals with ion impact and implantation. I am suggesting in my work that ion implantation in a liquid alloy is much lower energy than an implantation in a solid (crystal). I'd love to have numbers to back up my suggestion.

Diffusion is faster, partial pressures are higher, density is lower, so many things point to the fact that it's likely less energy to implant into a liquid alloy, but I don't see much discussion of energy to displace an atom in a liquid in my searches.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I greatly appreciate any and all suggestions that you might have!
-Allen
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
mfb
Aug27-14, 06:07 PM
Mentor
P: 12,113
The very idea of "liquid" is the constant re-arrangement of atoms in the material from thermal motion. If your implanted ions do not make it solid, it should be sufficient to let them reach the surface. Diffusion will still take a while (maybe too long), of course.

Register to reply