Making Ferrous Sulfate - Have I succeeded?

• Thread starter Mniazi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with Battery Acid (35% sulfuric acid) and an iron nail. After heating the solution, a yellowish liquid with yellow powder at the bottom and a white crystalline substance forming at the cracks is observed. The questions asked are whether ferrous sulfate was successfully created, what the white substance is, and what material the vial is made of. The expert suggests that it is unlikely that ferrous sulfate was created due to oxidation, and that the vial is likely made of glass. The identity of the white solid is uncertain, but it could be zinc sulfate or iron sulfate depending on the purity of the acid. Further experimentation may be needed to determine the exact results.
Mniazi
I acquired some Battery Acid, which is 35% sulfuric acid. I had poured some in a vial and dropped a iron nail in it. I had even heated the solution with a ligher, which caused cracks to form on the vials walls. After two days, I see a yellowish solution, with some yellow powder at the bottom. But at the cracks white crystalline substance is forming.
2d6khy.jpg

It looks like this. Can you tell me if

1. have I succeeded in making ferrous sulfate?

2. what is the white substance?

3. If we evaporate the sulotion what is the decomposed material left. ( if I heat the solution and evaporate it what will happen to the ferrous sulfate.)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What material is the vial made of?

I doubt you will be able to make ferrous sulfate - in the contact with air it gets oxidized quite fast to ferric (Fe(II) → Fe(III)). Red rust is already Fe(III).

Sulfuric acid is not the best acid to dissolve iron (nor rust). Hydrochloric and phosphoric are much better (they not only dissolve, but also complex the iron, which speeds up the reaction).

It is made of glass I suppose, yeah I think the yellow-orange powder is rust, but then why is the liquid yellow in color? BTW I put alluminium in the acid and nothing hapened to it, should I concentrate it or something?

Can the white solid be Zinc sulfate, since the nail migh be covered with zinc, as in the start it was bubbling vigorously, and then it ended and the nail was greyish.

nobody is helping me :P

Was the nail a new one, or a rusty one?

In both cases - I don't know what is the solubility of the iron sulfate in the concentrated acid, so it is possible that it just gets covered with the solid sulfate which slows the reaction down. Identity of the white solid can depend on the purity of the original acid.

1. What is the process for making ferrous sulfate?

The process for making ferrous sulfate involves reacting iron with sulfuric acid. This can be done by dissolving iron filings or scrap iron in concentrated sulfuric acid.

2. How do I know if I have successfully made ferrous sulfate?

If you have successfully made ferrous sulfate, the solution should turn a greenish color and have a metallic taste. Additionally, you can test for the presence of iron using a chemical test.

3. What are the common uses for ferrous sulfate?

Ferrous sulfate is commonly used as a nutritional supplement to treat iron deficiency anemia. It is also used in water treatment, as a fertilizer, and in the production of dyes and pigments.

4. What safety precautions should I take when making ferrous sulfate?

When making ferrous sulfate, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles. Sulfuric acid is corrosive and can cause burns if it comes into contact with skin. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.

5. Can I make ferrous sulfate at home?

Yes, it is possible to make ferrous sulfate at home using iron filings or scrap iron and concentrated sulfuric acid. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and proper measurements to ensure a successful and safe process.