Limiting Deviation: Norms, Symbols & Names

• Thread starter 0xDEADBEEF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deviation
In summary, the author is looking for a way to specify maximum errors for measurement instruments, but cannot find a norm. The symbol used for this is "G," which is for "Grenze." There is an international norm for this, but the author is not sure what it is.

How should instrumentsl errors be specified?

• Maximum error

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Standard deviations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some combination of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
0xDEADBEEF
Long time no post...

I am very much disturbed after my research of measurement errors and corresponding norms, because I find so few results. There are mainly two ways to specify errors of measurement instruments. Standard deviation with its siblings and maximum error.

I am a great fan of the old German tradition to specify maximum errors only for measurement instruments. Specifying that some piece of equipment will have an error below x for all practical purposes when operated under the specified conditions is much easier to do quantitatively than statistical deviations and errors that depend on the measurement value and environmental fluctuations. Because in most cases the errors are far from being Gaussian. So you just add add all relevant maximum errors and don't care about independence.

But I couldn't find any norms about it. The relevant German ones don't have corresponding ISO norms. I couldn't even find a symbol for it. The German symbol is G for "Grenze" or "Fehlergrenze". I only get "uncertainties" and a number of k sigmas.

So after so much complaining my questions:
- Is there an international norm regarding the declaration of maximum errors.
- What symbol do you use for "maximum error" or "limiting deviation"
- If you have a better name for this and what do you call it? What is it called in your Physics books?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally speaking I would say "it depends." I've usually seen the "maximum accuracy error" specification as you've mentioned, usually defined in a +/- percentage value (example here: Honeywell Model 31 Force Transducer).

When qualifying the performance of a complex instrument or process, it might be prudent to use more advanced statistical methods e.g. Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA): https://www.moresteam.com/toolbox/measurement-system-analysis.cfm

Gold standard MSA books: https://www.aiag.org/source/Orders/index.cfm?search=MSA-4

1. What is limiting deviation?

Limiting deviation refers to the concept of how norms, symbols, and names influence our behavior and perception of reality. It is the idea that our cultural and societal norms, as well as symbols and names, act as constraints on our thoughts and actions.

2. How do norms, symbols, and names impact our behavior?

Norms, symbols, and names serve as guidelines for how we should behave, think, and communicate in society. They shape our beliefs, values, and attitudes, and influence our actions and interactions with others.

3. Can norms, symbols, and names be changed?

Yes, norms, symbols, and names are not fixed and can change over time. They are constantly evolving as society changes and adapts to new cultural, political, and social developments. However, changing these cultural constructs can be a slow and challenging process.

4. How do norms, symbols, and names differ across cultures?

Norms, symbols, and names vary greatly across different cultures and societies. What may be considered a norm or symbol in one culture may not hold the same meaning in another. Similarly, names can have different cultural and historical significance, and some cultures may have specific naming conventions or traditions.

5. How do norms, symbols, and names affect our perception of reality?

Norms, symbols, and names shape our perception of reality by providing a framework for understanding and interpreting the world around us. They influence what we consider to be normal or acceptable and can determine how we view and interact with others and our environment.