Register to reply

Ok to delete the registry from windows computer

by duhuhu
Tags: delete, registry, windows
Share this thread:
duhuhu
Aug26-14, 02:19 PM
P: 26
My friend who's job is to work with computers all day told me to delete my registry completely to speed up my computer. Now obviously this raises a couple red flags. Is he right? Is it really ok to completely wipe out the registry on my computer?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Greg Bernhardt
Aug26-14, 02:22 PM
Admin
P: 9,710
Quote Quote by duhuhu View Post
My friend who's job is to work with computers all day told me to delete my registry completely to speed up my computer. Now obviously this raises a couple red flags. Is he right? Is it really ok to completely wipe out the registry on my computer?
You computer will not run with no registry :)

I think he means to clean it. There are several free tools to do this.

CCleaner is quite good for free
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/
duhuhu
Aug26-14, 02:26 PM
P: 26
no, he told me to straight up delete my registry. But I am beginning to think that maybe I should not go to him for advise anymore...

Greg Bernhardt
Aug26-14, 02:30 PM
Admin
P: 9,710
Ok to delete the registry from windows computer

Quote Quote by duhuhu View Post
no, he told me to straight up delete my registry. But I am beginning to think that maybe I should not go to him for advise anymore...
That's a good call. You're computer will be broken if you do that and you'll need to reinstall Windows.
SteamKing
Aug26-14, 02:46 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,755
You should ask this 'friend' if he has followed his own advice.
GabDX
Aug26-14, 02:59 PM
P: 9
He was messing with you. I would not even try to clean it either. You wouldn't notice any speed improvement anyway and you run the risk of seriously messing up your computer. Leave the registry alone.
.Scott
Aug26-14, 03:39 PM
P: 627
As other have said, the only way to recover from that mistake would be to reinstall Windows and all the other applications you had installed.
Some day, when I'm about to overwrite a hard drive anyway, I'll try exporting and then emptying the registry to see if the OS is completely killed or just extensively incapacitated.
montoyas7940
Aug27-14, 12:24 PM
P: 297
Ask your "friend" to demonstrate on his computer.
phinds
Aug27-14, 12:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,511
Quote Quote by montoyas7940 View Post
+1 on that !
.Scott
Aug27-14, 04:49 PM
P: 627
I just had the opportunity to try this. I had a Windows 7 system that I needed to sent to my IT department to wipe. So before sending it, I tried deleting the registry.

It isn't as easy as I thought.

First: You cannot delete the keys at the "HKEY" level, so you have go to the next level where there are hundreds and hundreds of keys to delete.
Second: Even after taking ownership and full access to all keys, I still could not delete every key. I could delete about 50% of those under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT; all but Software under HKEY_CURRENT_USER (although "Keyboard Layout" kept reappearing); and nothing (or, at least, no complete key) under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. However, when I got to HKEY LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM, things started to fall apart. I kept getting a message box, "LicenseManRes.dll could not be found." and the registry editor hung. Control-Alt-Delete gave me an error message.
Cycling power put me into "Startup Repair" that gave me the option of restoring to a earlier point in time. I selected "Restore".
Ultimately it issued the message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically". It gave me the option to send information about this problem, and a few selections later it gave me the option to restart - which I took.
This started up "Startup Repair" - so I canceled and recycled power. The only options were Start Repair or open Windows normally - both put me into Startup Repair. There was no option to enter SAFE mode.

So I restarted with F8 and selected SAFE mode with Command Prompt. This got as far as loading CI.dll (not very far) and then dropped back into "Startup Repair". I allowed this to run one more time - and it failed.
AlephZero
Aug27-14, 06:25 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,293
Quote Quote by montoyas7940 View Post
The answer might be "well, it still runs Linux OK".
enorbet
Aug29-14, 05:05 AM
P: 190
Simply put, the Windows Registry is all your eggs in one basket. Delete the basket = lose all your eggs. Manage it, Clean It, Care for It, but Delete it? Never!

Regarding managing the beast, for the life of me I can't fathom why only recently has SED come to Windows.

Register to reply