Ok to delete the registry from windows computer

In summary: I've been using it for years on UNIX-based systems.In summary, - Deleting the Windows Registry is not recommended.- There are several free tools to clean it.- If you're about to overwrite a hard drive, you can try exporting and then emptying the registry to see if the OS is completely killed or just extensively incapacitated.
duhuhu
My friend who's job is to work with computers all day told me to delete my registry completely to speed up my computer. Now obviously this raises a couple red flags. Is he right? Is it really ok to completely wipe out the registry on my computer?

Computer science news on Phys.org
duhuhu said:
My friend who's job is to work with computers all day told me to delete my registry completely to speed up my computer. Now obviously this raises a couple red flags. Is he right? Is it really ok to completely wipe out the registry on my computer?

You computer will not run with no registry :)

I think he means to clean it. There are several free tools to do this.

CCleaner is quite good for free
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

no, he told me to straight up delete my registry. But I am beginning to think that maybe I should not go to him for advise anymore...

duhuhu said:
no, he told me to straight up delete my registry. But I am beginning to think that maybe I should not go to him for advise anymore...

That's a good call. You're computer will be broken if you do that and you'll need to reinstall Windows.

You should ask this 'friend' if he has followed his own advice.

He was messing with you. I would not even try to clean it either. You wouldn't notice any speed improvement anyway and you run the risk of seriously messing up your computer. Leave the registry alone.

As other have said, the only way to recover from that mistake would be to reinstall Windows and all the other applications you had installed.
Some day, when I'm about to overwrite a hard drive anyway, I'll try exporting and then emptying the registry to see if the OS is completely killed or just extensively incapacitated.

Ask your "friend" to demonstrate on his computer.

montoyas7940 said:

+1 on that !

I just had the opportunity to try this. I had a Windows 7 system that I needed to sent to my IT department to wipe. So before sending it, I tried deleting the registry.

It isn't as easy as I thought.

First: You cannot delete the keys at the "HKEY" level, so you have go to the next level where there are hundreds and hundreds of keys to delete.
Second: Even after taking ownership and full access to all keys, I still could not delete every key. I could delete about 50% of those under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT; all but Software under HKEY_CURRENT_USER (although "Keyboard Layout" kept reappearing); and nothing (or, at least, no complete key) under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. However, when I got to HKEY LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM, things started to fall apart. I kept getting a message box, "LicenseManRes.dll could not be found." and the registry editor hung. Control-Alt-Delete gave me an error message.
Cycling power put me into "Startup Repair" that gave me the option of restoring to a earlier point in time. I selected "Restore".
Ultimately it issued the message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically". It gave me the option to send information about this problem, and a few selections later it gave me the option to restart - which I took.
This started up "Startup Repair" - so I canceled and recycled power. The only options were Start Repair or open Windows normally - both put me into Startup Repair. There was no option to enter SAFE mode.

So I restarted with F8 and selected SAFE mode with Command Prompt. This got as far as loading CI.dll (not very far) and then dropped back into "Startup Repair". I allowed this to run one more time - and it failed.

montoyas7940 said:

The answer might be "well, it still runs Linux OK". :smile:

Simply put, the Windows Registry is all your eggs in one basket. Delete the basket = lose all your eggs. Manage it, Clean It, Care for It, but Delete it? Never!

Regarding managing the beast, for the life of me I can't fathom why only recently has SED come to Windows.

1. Is it safe to delete the registry from a Windows computer?

No, it is not safe to delete the registry from a Windows computer. The registry is a crucial component of the operating system and contains important information and settings that are necessary for the computer to function properly. Deleting the registry can cause serious system errors and may even render the computer unusable.

2. Why would someone want to delete the registry?

Some people may want to delete the registry in an attempt to fix a problem or speed up their computer. However, deleting the registry is not a recommended solution as it can cause more harm than good. It is best to address any issues with the registry through proper troubleshooting methods or seek the help of a professional.

3. Can I delete certain parts of the registry without causing harm?

No, it is not recommended to delete any part of the registry. Even if you think a certain entry is unnecessary or outdated, it is best to leave it untouched. Deleting even a single entry can cause system instability and may lead to a complete system crash.

4. What should I do if I accidentally delete the registry?

If you accidentally delete the registry, your computer may not be able to boot up properly. In this case, you may need to perform a system restore or reinstall the operating system. It is always important to back up your registry before making any changes to it to avoid this situation.

5. Are there any alternatives to deleting the registry?

Yes, there are other ways to address issues with the registry without deleting it. These include using a reputable registry cleaner software, running a system file checker, or manually editing specific entries with caution. It is always recommended to seek the help of a professional if you are unsure about making changes to your registry.