Calculate velocity of a 1MeV Neutron

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the velocity of a 1MeV neutron and the formula used for this purpose. It is mentioned that the neutron's rest mass is higher than 1MeV, making it safe to assume that the calculation should focus on kinetic energy. The use of a nonrelativistic approach is agreed upon as a good approximation.
rem45
How would one calculate the velocity of a 1MeV neutron??

I tried the following the attached formula for V/C but E is less than the rest mass which yields the square root of a negative number. Not sure what to do for this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 6.33.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 6.33.32 PM.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 807
Physics news on Phys.org
1 MeV here is surely the kinetic energy, not the total (rest plus kinetic) energy.

It doesn't say. I guess that I will assume such. Is the 'E' in the equation I am using for the rest mass energy plus the kinetic energy?

Since a neutron has a higher rest mass than 1MeV, then one should safely assume that kinetic energy is what is meant here.

The E in that equation is indeed the rest+kinetic energy.

Since the neutron rest mass is approximately 940 Mev, you probably could use E=(mv^2)/2 to get v. (v=c/22?).

Last edited:
mathman said:
Since the neutron rest mass is approximately 940 Mev, you probably could use E=(mv^2)/2 to get v. (v=c/22?).
I agree that a nonrelativistic approach should be fine - it is a very good approximation.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a 1MeV neutron?

The velocity of a 1MeV neutron can be calculated using the formula v = √(2E/m), where E is the energy of the neutron in MeV and m is the mass of the neutron in MeV/c^2.

2. What is the mass of a 1MeV neutron?

The mass of a neutron is approximately 939.57 MeV/c^2, which is equivalent to 1.67493 x 10^-27 kilograms.

3. Can the velocity of a 1MeV neutron be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed attainable by any particle with mass. Therefore, the velocity of a 1MeV neutron cannot be greater than the speed of light.

4. How is the velocity of a 1MeV neutron measured?

The velocity of a 1MeV neutron can be measured using various methods such as time-of-flight measurements, neutron spectroscopy, or by using specialized detectors such as a scintillation detector or a bubble chamber.

5. What is the significance of calculating the velocity of a 1MeV neutron?

Calculating the velocity of a 1MeV neutron is important in various fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It helps in understanding the behavior of neutrons in different environments and in developing technologies that utilize neutron interactions.