Magnesium in concentrated and dilute saltwater

• Thread starter sv3ora
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnesium
In summary, the reaction of magnesium with concentrated and dilute saltwater will be the same, with the only difference being the kinetics due to the higher concentration of salt. The products of the reaction will include H2 gas, which will be produced on the surface of the magnesium, and possibly Cl2 gas if a strong oxidizing agent is present. The reactivity series should also be considered when determining the products of the reaction.
sv3ora
Hello This is more of a chemistry question but I would like to know how a piece of magnesium will react with concentrained and delute saltwater, and what will be the products in each case?
Please help, I cannot find any complete info on the web

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It will be the same reaction in both cases (actually not different from the reaction with just water). The only difference will be kinetics - higher concentration of salt facilitates charge transfers, so it will most likely speed up the reaction.

Borek said:
It will be the same reaction in both cases (actually not different from the reaction with just water). The only difference will be kinetics - higher concentration of salt facilitates charge transfers, so it will most likely speed up the reaction.

And what will be the products of the reaction? (gasses/solution)

I think H2 bubbles will emerge from magnesium, is that right?
Is there any Cl gas too?
I always consider salt water for the reaction.

sv3ora said:
And what will be the products of the reaction? (gasses/solution)

I think H2 bubbles will emerge from magnesium, is that right?

You are on the right track. They will definitely appear, although not "from magnesium" - they will be produced on the magnesium surface as product of the reaction.

Have you heard about reactivity series?

Borek said:
You are on the right track. They will definitely appear, although not "from magnesium" - they will be produced on the magnesium surface as product of the reaction.

Have you heard about reactivity series?

Thank you I read the article on wikipedia about reactivity series.
However it is not clear to me if only H2 gass will be produced by throwing Mg inside concentrated salt water. Does any Cl2 produced at all?

To get Cl2 you would need a strong oxidizing agent. The only thing you have is magnesium - is it oxidizer, or reducer?.

Borek said:
To get Cl2 you would need a strong oxidizing agent. The only thing you have is magnesium - is it oxidizer, or reducer?.

Thanks a lot.

What is the difference between concentrated and dilute saltwater?

Concentrated saltwater, also known as brine, contains a high concentration of salt compared to dilute saltwater. This means that there is a higher amount of dissolved ions, such as magnesium, in concentrated saltwater.

How does magnesium behave in concentrated saltwater?

Magnesium in concentrated saltwater will exist in its ionic form, Mg2+, and will be attracted to other ions with opposite charges. It may also interact with other dissolved substances in the water, such as carbonates.

What happens to magnesium in dilute saltwater?

In dilute saltwater, magnesium will still exist in its ionic form, but in lower concentrations compared to concentrated saltwater. It may also interact with other ions and substances in the water, but to a lesser extent.

Is magnesium essential for marine life in both concentrated and dilute saltwater?

Yes, magnesium is an essential element for marine life in both concentrated and dilute saltwater. It is used by organisms for various biological processes, including the formation of shells and skeletons.

How does the concentration of magnesium affect the overall health of marine ecosystems?

The concentration of magnesium in saltwater can have a significant impact on the health of marine ecosystems. Too much or too little magnesium can disrupt the balance of other ions and nutrients, which can affect the growth and survival of marine organisms.