Breakdown of metal passivation layers

• Thread starter Excom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of corrosion in an ionic solution and the factors that contribute to it. The speaker is interested in finding the most effective materials for passivating electrodes and is seeking input on how to approach this experimentally.
Excom
Hi All

I hope that someone where can help me out.

Let's assume that we take a piece of Al foil and a Pt wire and put them into an ionic solution. We then apply a voltage difference of 2 V between the two. Al(+) and Pt(-). After a few seconds the Al electrode starts to corrode. Nothing new about that but can anyone tell me what happens before the corrosion starts? I assume that the aluminum oxide is being removed. I am interested in figuring out what voltage that is needed to remove the aluminum oxide. And the kinetics of it.

If this can be described in a theoretical manner I will prefer that as I would like to compare different metal oxides at different voltages.

Thanks

Best regards
Tom

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Way too many unknown factors for a theoretical treatment, experiments are a way to go.

Okay, thanks.

Instead of testing every metal oxide there must be a way of finding those oxides that are most likely to be the best.

Any idea of how to this?

Excom said:
to be the best

In what sense?

I want to find the best materials for passivating electrodes in ionic solutions.

1. What is a metal passivation layer?

A metal passivation layer is a thin coating or film that is applied to a metal surface in order to protect it from corrosion and other forms of deterioration. It acts as a barrier between the metal and its surrounding environment.

2. How does a metal passivation layer breakdown?

A metal passivation layer can breakdown due to a variety of factors, including exposure to moisture, high temperatures, and chemical reactions. These factors can cause the protective layer to become damaged or weakened, allowing the metal to be exposed to corrosive agents.

3. What are the consequences of a breakdown in metal passivation layers?

The consequences of a breakdown in metal passivation layers can include increased corrosion and rust on the metal surface, decreased durability and strength of the metal, and potential failure of the metal component or structure.

4. How can the breakdown of metal passivation layers be prevented?

The breakdown of metal passivation layers can be prevented by using high-quality passivation materials, applying them correctly and in accordance with industry standards, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the metal surfaces to identify and address any signs of deterioration.

5. What industries or applications commonly use metal passivation layers?

Metal passivation layers are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, and medical devices, as well as in applications where metal components are exposed to harsh environments or corrosive substances, such as in marine or chemical processing facilities.