Breakdown of metal passivation layers

by Excom
Tags: breakdown, layers, metal, passivation
Share this thread:
Excom
Aug26-14, 06:58 PM
P: 48
Hi All

I hope that someone where can help me out.

Let's assume that we take a piece of Al foil and a Pt wire and put them into an ionic solution. We then apply a voltage difference of 2 V between the two. Al(+) and Pt(-). After a few seconds the Al electrode starts to corrode. Nothing new about that but can anyone tell me what happens before the corrosion starts? I assume that the aluminum oxide is being removed. I am interested in figuring out what voltage that is needed to remove the aluminum oxide. And the kinetics of it.

If this can be described in a theoretical manner I will prefer that as I would like to compare different metal oxides at different voltages.

Thanks

Best regards
Tom
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Abnormal properties of cancer protein revealed in fly eyes
Rooting out horse-meat fraud in the wake of a recent food scandal
Borek
Aug27-14, 01:52 AM
Admin
P: 23,727
Way too many unknown factors for a theoretical treatment, experiments are a way to go.
Excom
Aug27-14, 04:56 PM
Okay, thanks.

Instead of testing every metal oxide there must be a way of finding those oxides that are most likely to be the best.

Any idea of how to this?

Borek
Aug28-14, 02:09 AM
Admin
P: 23,727
Breakdown of metal passivation layers

Quote Quote by Excom View Post
to be the best
In what sense?
Excom
Sep2-14, 03:44 PM
I want to find the best materials for passivating electrodes in ionic solutions.

Register to reply