Register to reply

Ambient temperature of materials.

by Kevineo
Tags: ambient, materials, temperature
Share this thread:
Kevineo
Aug26-14, 10:23 PM
P: 2
Hi everyone, I've got an idea I'm trying to work out but I'm having trouble finding out about a few things. Firstly, what material or metals have the highest ambient temperature? I know uranium is kind of warm but is there any material that is just warm or hot? And how hot can it get? Thanks guys!!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
f95toli
Aug27-14, 06:23 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,259
All materials will just reach the the same temperature as their environment if you wait long enough UNLESS they are radioactive (like say plutonium).
And yes, some of those materials (some isotopes of uranium, plutonium) will get pretty hot if you collect too much of it in the same place, but you wouldn't' want to be anywhere near it when that happened

There are ways of doing this in a controlled manner and this is sometimes used in e.g. space probes (google nuclear battery, or radioisotope generator) but the power output is low and it is way to dangerous for everyday applications.
Kevineo
Aug27-14, 06:30 AM
P: 2
That's really helpful! Thanks f95toll. Ill have to come at it from a different angle :)

Register to reply