Create High frequency High voltage signal

In summary, the person is requesting help in creating a high frequency, high voltage signal for their research. They are not an electronic expert and only need to apply an electric field, not draw any current. However, the OPAMPs they have come across do not amplify higher than 200V, so they are wondering if it is possible to create this signal using transformers. Another person advises caution and suggests using a lower voltage for safety.
BaasCR
Hi all,

For my research I would like to create a high frequency high voltage signal. This signal should be in the order of 1kV-5kV with a frequency of around 10MHz. Can anyone help me with this? I'm not an electronic expert. I only have to apply the electric field, please note that I do not need to draw any current.

The OPAMP's I came across don't really amplify higher than 200V at maximum. Is it possible to create this signal by using transformers?

Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
if you are not too good at electronics then I suggest for your safety you work on a project with much lower voltage.

Dave

BaasCR said:
Hi all,

For my research I would like to create a high frequency high voltage signal. This signal should be in the order of 1kV-5kV with a frequency of around 10MHz. Can anyone help me with this? I'm not an electronic expert. I only have to apply the electric field, please note that I do not need to draw any current.

The OPAMP's I came across don't really amplify higher than 200V at maximum. Is it possible to create this signal by using transformers?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the PF.

As stated, this is dangerous for a newbie to attempt. What department are you in at your university? What resources are available to you? What are you wanting to use this for? You can use a much lower voltage if you just want an electric field to fill a small volume. The units of electric field are Volts / meter, so you get the same E field with half the voltage across half the distance, and so on.

What is a high frequency high voltage signal?

A high frequency high voltage signal is a type of electrical signal that has a high voltage amplitude and is oscillating at a high frequency, typically in the range of several kilohertz to several megahertz.

How is a high frequency high voltage signal created?

A high frequency high voltage signal can be created using a variety of methods, including using a high frequency generator, a high voltage transformer, or a specialized high voltage power supply.

What are the applications of high frequency high voltage signals?

High frequency high voltage signals have numerous applications, including in medical devices such as X-ray machines, in industrial processes for welding and cutting, and in scientific research for plasma generation and particle acceleration.

What are the safety precautions when working with high frequency high voltage signals?

Working with high frequency high voltage signals can be dangerous, and proper safety precautions should always be taken. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, using insulated tools, and following safety protocols for handling high voltage equipment.

How can the frequency and voltage of a high frequency high voltage signal be controlled?

The frequency and voltage of a high frequency high voltage signal can be controlled by adjusting the settings on the high frequency generator or power supply. In some cases, specialized components such as capacitors and inductors can also be used to fine-tune the signal's frequency and voltage.