2x2 matrix with factor group elements

In summary, the conversation discusses solving linear equations in a finite field, specifically in the factor group \mathbb{Z}_N, where N can be any positive integer. The problem is named "solving simultaneous linear equations in a finite field" and is different from solving linear equations over a field. The conversation also mentions the relationship between solving simultaneous linear Diophantine equations and solving linear equations in a finite field.
jostpuur
We fix some [itex]N=1,2,3,\ldots,[/itex] and define the factor group [itex]\mathbb{Z}_N[/itex] as [itex]\mathbb{Z}/N\mathbb{Z}[/itex], and denote the elements [itex]x+N\mathbb{Z}[/itex] as [itex][x][/itex], where [itex]x\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. My question is that how do you solve [itex][x_1][/itex] and [itex][x_2][/itex] out of

[tex]
\left(\begin{array}{c}
\lbrack y_1\rbrack \\ \lbrack y_2\rbrack \\
\end{array}\right)
= \left(\begin{array}{cc}
\lbrack a_{11}\rbrack & \lbrack a_{12}\rbrack \\
\lbrack a_{21}\rbrack & \lbrack a_{22}\rbrack \\
\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c}
\lbrack x_1\rbrack \\ \lbrack x_2\rbrack \\
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

when [itex][y_1],[y_2],[a_{11}],[a_{12}],[a_{21}],[a_{22}]\in\mathbb{Z}_N[/itex] are known constants.

First edit:

To clarify what I mean by "a solution", I'll show a one for the 1x1 case, where we seek to solve [itex][y]=[a][x][/itex].

If [itex][a]=0[/itex] and [itex][y]\neq 0[/itex], then there are no solutions.

If [itex][a]=0[/itex] and [itex][y]=0[/itex], then all [itex][x]\in\mathbb{Z}_N[/itex] are solutions, and the number of different solutions is [itex]N[/itex].

If [itex][a]\neq 0[/itex], we choose representatives [itex]a,y\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] such that [itex]0<a<N[/itex] and [itex]0\leq y<N[/itex].

If [itex]\textrm{gcd}(a,N)[/itex] does not divide [itex]y[/itex], then there are no solutions.

If [itex]\textrm{gcd}(a,N)[/itex] divides [itex]y[/itex], then a solution exists, and the number of different solutions [itex][x]\in\mathbb{Z}_N[/itex] is [itex]\textrm{gcd}(a,N)[/itex]. So the solution is unique only if [itex]\textrm{gcd}(a,N)=1[/itex].

Above we interpret that if [itex]y=0[/itex], then [itex]\textrm{gcd}(a,N)[/itex] divides [itex]y[/itex].

The whole thing is surprisingly complicated, considering how simple the formula [itex][y]=[a][x][/itex] looks. So I would be expecting something similar, but more complicated for the 2x2 case. The greatest common divisor of [itex]a_{11}a_{22} - a_{12}a_{21}[/itex] with something is probably related to the solution?

Of course the problem is not really to write down an algorithm that would "solve" the problem, because that would be trivial. We could write a program that goes through all the [itex]N^2[/itex] possibilities for [itex]([x_1],[x_2])[/itex], and checks which one of them work. I'm seeking something reasonably analytic.

Second edit:

I think I already realized how the problem gets solved, and I probably spent more time describing the problem than solving it, which is peculiar of course... I haven't solved the whole thing yet fully though.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Giving the problem a technical name, I'd called it "solving simultaneous linear equations in a finite field".

A useful digression would be to ask: What's the rellation between the solutions to to simultaneous linear Diophantine equations and the soluitons to linear equations in a finite field?

Stephen Tashi said:
Giving the problem a technical name, I'd called it "solving simultaneous linear equations in a finite field".

What? Original poster didn’t say N must be prime. One can solve linear systems over rings with zero divisors (Ī mean ℤN for composite N), but it is a theory different from linear algebra over a field. Even solving one linear equation is a non-trivial problem since we, in general, can’t divide.

What is a 2x2 matrix with factor group elements?

A 2x2 matrix with factor group elements is a mathematical representation of a group, where the elements of the group are organized into a 2x2 matrix. Each element in the matrix represents a coset, or a set of elements that are related by a common factor or subgroup of the group.

How is a 2x2 matrix with factor group elements useful in scientific research?

A 2x2 matrix with factor group elements is useful in scientific research because it allows for the analysis and understanding of complex group structures. By organizing group elements into a matrix, relationships and patterns within the group can be identified and studied.

What are some real-world applications of 2x2 matrix with factor group elements?

Some real-world applications of 2x2 matrix with factor group elements include analyzing genetic traits, studying network structures, and understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It can also be used in social sciences to study group dynamics and relationships.

How is a 2x2 matrix with factor group elements different from a regular 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix with factor group elements is different from a regular 2x2 matrix in that the elements in the matrix represent group elements rather than numerical values. While a regular 2x2 matrix follows mathematical rules of matrix multiplication, a 2x2 matrix with factor group elements follows the rules of group theory.

Are there any limitations to using a 2x2 matrix with factor group elements?

One limitation of using a 2x2 matrix with factor group elements is that it can only represent finite groups. Additionally, the size of the matrix can become very large for larger groups, making it difficult to analyze and understand. It also may not be suitable for all types of groups, such as non-abelian groups.