Question for the total collisional cross section for the neutrals

In summary, A person is trying to calculate the total collisional cross section of hydrogen atom impacted with proton in order to compute the diffusion coefficient of the ion in hydrogen plasma. They are unsure if they should sum up all cross sections for possible excitations or average them, as the former may result in an infinite value. They are seeking a method or papers that discuss this issue.
goodphy
Hello.

I'm trying to calculate the total collisional cross section of the hydrogen atom impacted with the proton. (ion of the hydrogen plasma)

I've found many good papers but they're showing specific cross section, for example, total cross section when n = 1 state is direct-excited to n = 2 when the proton impacts on the hydrogen atom.

The original motivation of this calculation is to compute the diffusion coefficient of the ion in hydrogen plasma and I became confused of concept of the total cross section.

In order to obtain proper cross section for my purpose, Should I sum up all cross sections for possible excitations or average them?

I guess the latter is right since there are infinite possible excitations such that the all sum up should results in infinite value.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I'm not sure if there are any other ways to compute the total cross section.I'd appreciate if anyone can provide me a method of calculating the total cross section or point out some papers which discuss about this issue.

1. What is the total collisional cross section for neutrals?

The total collisional cross section for neutrals is a measure of the likelihood of a neutral particle colliding with another particle. It takes into account the size, shape, and velocity of the particles involved.

2. How is the total collisional cross section for neutrals calculated?

The total collisional cross section for neutrals is typically calculated using theoretical models or experimental measurements. The models take into account factors such as the kinetic energy of the particles, the intermolecular forces between them, and the geometrical arrangement of the particles.

3. Why is the total collisional cross section for neutrals important?

The total collisional cross section for neutrals is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of neutral particles in various environments. It is also used in various fields of science, such as atmospheric physics and plasma physics, to study the interactions between particles.

4. Can the total collisional cross section for neutrals vary?

Yes, the total collisional cross section for neutrals can vary depending on the conditions in which the particles are moving. For example, it can change with temperature, pressure, and the presence of other particles in the environment.

5. How does the total collisional cross section for neutrals differ from the total collisional cross section for charged particles?

The total collisional cross section for neutrals differs from the total collisional cross section for charged particles because neutral particles do not have an electric charge and therefore do not interact with electric fields in the same way as charged particles do. Additionally, neutral particles can form temporary dipoles and induce forces between them, while charged particles only interact through Coulombic forces.