Would this Battery charger work as a direct power source?

In summary, this "Anker® 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh 4-Port Aluminum Portable External Battery Charger with 9V/12V Multi-Voltage Port and PowerIQ Technology" can act as a direct power source for the router instead of its regular 12V 0.7A power adaptor if the 12V port can handle the current demand. This battery could last for about a day or two depending on the actual load.
maflwo
Hello

I need a source to power ADSL router when the electric power would be cut for any reason because i need to keep my laptop that i use for work connected to the internet.

I found this "Anker® 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh 4-Port Aluminum Portable External Battery Charger with 9V/12V Multi-Voltage Port and PowerIQ Technology"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGLTZQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

My question is:

can the 12V port for this charger work as a direct power source for the router instead of its regular 12V 0.7A power adaptor?
and if yes how much time the battery could last before the need to be recharged?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should post the specific router model and hardware specs. This would allow us to know the router's power requirements and be able to answer your question better.

Edit: I missed the part where you gave the 12V/.7A rating. Sorry about that.

A rating of 20000mA-hr (20A-hr) suggests that the battery could supply a current of 20A at 12V for approximately 1 hour. If you are only drawing .7A (and not 20A), then you should obviously be able to supply current for longer than 1 hour.

Doing a little bit of unit analysis:

20A-Hr/.7A = ~28.5 Hours

Last edited:
If the supply is 12vdc at .7A then the 20000mAh 12vdc battery should last about a day or two depending on actual load. Sometimes the little wall wart supplies are ac to ac. You may be better served by a UPS.

The last post from montoyas7940 and his suggestion would serve you best. Since your router draws such a small amount of power, just get a small UPS and plug the router supply into it. This way, you don't have to worry about the router needing AC or DC, and voltage concerns. A UPS rated at 200VA or more would handle the router and allow it to operate for some time without 110 VAC line power. I think you could locate something cheap that would meet your needs very well (see this URL for an example).

http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-ES-350VA-6-Outlet-Power-Saving-UPS/product_733724?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:733724&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=733724&KPID=733724&kpid=733724&gclid=CNLczsKuvsACFZKBfgodQC4AIA

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for the replies and the advice about the UPS , here's some more details:

I have been using Ideal 5310ALU UPS 1000VA (http://www.idealups.com.tw/product_ny2_3.html) to power both the router and an extra 19" LED screen connected to the laptop, and it used to be able to handle them both for almost 2 up to 3 hours when it was new , but now (after 16 month) it hardly handle the router for 25 or 30 mins max!

so, I thought maybe i'd try another thing and this "External Battery Charger" seems to be good solution if it'd work because its weight is much lighter and it costs less than the UPS.

maflwo said:
...I have been using Ideal 5310ALU UPS 1000VA (http://www.idealups.com.tw/product_ny2_3.html) to power both the router and an extra 19" LED screen connected to the laptop, and it used to be able to handle them both for almost 2 up to 3 hours when it was new , but now (after 16 month) it hardly handle the router for 25 or 30 mins max! ...

The problem with your original UPS is its battery. Most UPS devices use a lead-acid battery and a lot of them undersize the battery, meaning that it undergoes a significant discharge at high current each time it's called upon to do its job. That current can be significantly higher than what the battery was designed for (particularly for extended or continuous draw). Deep discharge and over-current are two factors which lead to a reduction in lead acid battery capacity and eventual failure, so it would be expected to see the type of capacity loss you described. Typical small-scale UPS devices are not intended to act as a battery power supply for extended operation, but only a back-up, used for short intervals.

I can't recommend the approach you're suggesting (and at $80, it appears more costly than a small UPS), but if you feel the experiment warranted, it can prove to be a learning tool for you. However, you're really accomplishing no more than what your UPS originally did for you, and the money might be better spent in purchasing a new battery for your UPS.

As a side note, you can use a larger (higher capacity) battery outside your UPS to gain a longer back-up interval. That battery would substitute for the internal smaller battery. Just be sure to read up on battery safety, and you might want to construct a small enclosure for any external battery just to be on the safe side.

I would try a higher capacity deep cycle for the UPS. Use the old one as a core trade in at Wally world (they don't care about size) and wire a big one externally. And I second the vote for battery safety mentioned by RBTO.

1. Is this battery charger compatible with all electronic devices?

It depends on the specifications of the battery charger and the electronic device. Some battery chargers are designed to work with specific devices, while others have universal compatibility. It is important to check the specifications of both the battery charger and the electronic device before using them together.

2. Can I use this battery charger as a direct power source for my laptop or other high-powered devices?

This depends on the wattage and voltage output of the battery charger. Most battery chargers are not designed to handle high-powered devices and may not provide enough power to run them. It is important to check the specifications of the battery charger and the device before attempting to use it as a direct power source.

3. Will using this battery charger as a direct power source damage my electronic device?

If the battery charger is compatible with the electronic device and has the correct voltage and wattage output, it should not damage the device. However, using a battery charger with incorrect specifications can potentially damage the device, so it is important to check compatibility before use.

4. Can I leave my electronic device connected to the battery charger as a direct power source for an extended period of time?

It depends on the type of battery charger and the electronic device. Some battery chargers have built-in safety features that prevent overcharging, while others do not. It is generally recommended to unplug the device once it is fully charged to avoid any potential damage.

5. Is it safe to use this battery charger as a direct power source for outdoor or rugged environments?

This depends on the durability and weatherproofing of the battery charger. Some battery chargers are designed for outdoor use and can withstand harsh conditions, while others are not. It is important to check the specifications of the battery charger before using it in outdoor or rugged environments.