Exploring Texture & Atoms

• Thread starter OrigamiCaptain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, texture is the result of the variances in atoms in a particular spot on a surface. A smooth surface will have evenly spaced atoms, while a rough surface will have larger and more irregularly spaced atoms. This can be affected by things like scuffs, scratches, and other types of damage.
OrigamiCaptain
I know that we aren't touching anything because atoms are repelling because electron can't touch each other.

What I'm trying to figure out is texture.

I think the reason we feel texture is because of the variance in atoms in a particular spot. For example a table is smooth because the atoms are about the same distance from the same distance from your hand or finger. If there is a scuff on a table then the number of atoms in that location is scraped off leading you to feel the difference in repulsion.

Am I thinking about this right?

If you need to use math just be aware that I haven't had calculus, but have had precalc/trig.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty much correct as far as I know. A very smooth surface, such as a polished mirror used in a high quality telescope, will have a surface that is very even, with surface irregularities perhaps tens of nanometers in height. A rough surface will have surface irregularities that are much larger, perhaps hundreds of micrometers if not larger. For example, 100 grit sandpaper (a medium grit that is between coarse and fine) has particles roughly 140-160 micrometers in size, while 20 grit (very, very coarse) has particles about 1000 micrometers (1 mm) in size.

Nickes, gouges, pits, bumps, and other types of damage to a surface will affect the texture based on how large they are and how many are in any given area.

1. What is texture and how is it related to atoms?

Texture refers to the physical properties of a material, such as its surface roughness or smoothness. These properties are determined by the arrangement and composition of atoms within the material.

2. How do scientists study texture and atoms?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as microscopy and spectroscopy, to study the structure and composition of materials at the atomic level. These methods allow them to observe and analyze the arrangement of atoms and their interactions, which ultimately determine the texture of a material.

3. Why is understanding texture and atoms important?

Understanding texture and atoms is crucial for developing new materials with specific properties and characteristics. It also allows scientists to better understand the behavior and properties of natural materials, such as rocks and minerals.

4. Can texture and atoms change over time?

Yes, texture and atoms can change over time due to various factors such as environmental conditions, chemical reactions, and mechanical forces. This is why studying the dynamics of texture and atoms is important for predicting and controlling the behavior of materials.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying texture and atoms?

The study of texture and atoms has many practical applications, such as improving the strength and durability of building materials, developing new medical implants and devices, and designing more efficient electronic devices. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as geology, materials science, and nanotechnology.