Does human body capacitance change when floating vs. standing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of human capacitance in touchscreens and the potential for using a capacitance sensor to detect whether a person is standing on the ground or floating in mid-air. It is suggested that suspending a person from a long insulating string could provide a solution to this problem. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using this technology in experiments for astronauts on the ISS and the potential for different results based on surface conditions."
mascail
Hello guys,

I read some articles recently about how touchscreens work by using the capacitance in human bodies. I'v seen the human body capacitance is quoted at around 100pf, is it the same when the human body is floating in mid-air, as if it is standing on the ground? My goal is to detect through a capacitance sensor, (?which detects slight changes of capacitance in the body, when the body is not standing on the ground anymore?) or something like that, if a body is standing on the ground or floating mid-air.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please teach me how to float in mid-air.

GabDX said:
Please teach me how to float in mid-air.

For this particular problem, it would suffice to suspend the human from a long insulating string.

NASA has programs where schools design small experiments for astronauts on ISS to try out. This might be a good one if you could think of a way to quantify response of a touchscreen. Certainly seems like good information to have.

NASA National Lab

The human probably doesn't really need to float in mid-air. I think it would be enough if the measurements would be taken when he jumps.

I guess standing barefoot on a wet grass and standing on a dry wooden floor would give completely different results.

1. What is human body capacitance?

Human body capacitance refers to the ability of the human body to store electrical charge. This is due to the presence of charged particles, such as ions, in our body's tissues and fluids.

2. How does standing vs. floating affect human body capacitance?

Standing and floating can both affect human body capacitance. When standing, our body is in contact with the ground and can act as a conductor, allowing any excess charge to flow into the ground. However, when floating, our body is insulated from the ground and can hold onto its charge for longer periods of time.

3. Does human body capacitance change when floating vs. standing?

Yes, human body capacitance can change when floating vs. standing. When floating, our body's capacitance may increase due to the lack of contact with a conductive surface. However, this change in capacitance is minimal and may not be noticeable.

4. Are there any factors that can affect human body capacitance when floating vs. standing?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect human body capacitance when floating vs. standing. These include the body's size and shape, the type of fluid or surface the body is floating on, and the level of humidity in the environment.

5. Is there any scientific evidence that supports changes in human body capacitance when floating vs. standing?

While there is limited research on this specific topic, there is evidence that supports changes in human body capacitance when floating vs. standing. One study found that individuals who were floating in a tank filled with salt water had a slightly higher body capacitance compared to when they were standing on the ground.