Stainless steel tube weight load

In summary, this sun cover will sag in the middle due to the weight of the stainless tubular beam attached to the top. The dimensions and thickness of the stainless beam need to be determined in order to support the weight of the cedar boards.
Atrium
I'm building a sun cover for my open air atrium. Dimension is 8x8 ft. I'm building with clear cedar(ver expensive). In one direction, I'm placing 19 8ft 2x4 cedar boards tilted vertical and spaced 5 inches apart. Knowing the boards spanning 8 ft, anchored at both ends to the square frame, will sag as moisture penetrates during the winter. Question. I want to place on top of the 19 boards a stainless tubular beam! At the mid point and perpendicular to the 19 boards. The beam will attach via screws every 6 inches. The weight dry for each cedar board is 6.5 pounds. What should be the dimensions and thickness of the stainless (or other metal) to ensure support of these 19 boards? How do I factor holes drilled and water weight of boards? Any takers on this? Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Greg I'm not sure what additional information is required. I don't think this is a particularly complicated question or technical spec, so not sure why no responses. Anyone with metal expertise would have an answer off the cuff, no calc required. Thanks for checking in. Appreciate your forum monitoring.

Well, you haven't told us whether you are building this in the Arizona desert or somewhere with 10 feet of snowfall every winter, so how do you expect us to guess what the moisture content might be?

I think you need to talk to an engineer, architect, or buildings inspector who understands your local building code regulations, not get advice from random people on the internet.

Likes berkeman
A rather strange response. This specific forum is asking technical questions, as per other postings. If you want to ask followup questions, simply ask but don't shut down a legitimate posting question by redirection. I btw, have received exceptionally good advice from "random people" on the internet. Pls don't respond unless you have something positive to add to my question. Thanks.

Hello,

I have a just little bit knowledge. The http://www.scoop.it/t/best-quality-industrial-products-and-servicespipes and tubes while tubes are by and large utilized for burden bearing or mechanical purposes. Stainless steels are composites containing iron, moderately low carbon, least 10.5% chromium and up to 30% nickel. Be that as it may they are commonly 18% chromium and 8% nickel. For expanded consumption resistance or for assembling necessities in particular applications, chromium may be expanded and different components, for example, manganese, aluminum, titanium and/or molybdenum may be included as needed.

Thanks

Zarajohn@

based on http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/softwoods/western-red-cedar/

and

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch03.pdf

it looks like the weight can be as much as 4 times the original weight. the load will be somewhat uniform along the tube. Thus you can use the diagram here http://www.atcpublications.com/Sample_pages_from_FDG.pdf to determine the limit you want on the tube deflection. you can get I from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_moments_of_inertia .
you should consider extra force due to trying to correct the deformation of the cedar beams. this will be the load required to flatten a bent beam. maybe 50 lbs or so, hard to say without doing another flexure model.

the holes will contribute a reduction factor, typical proportional to the volume loss of the beam. you may be able to get better estimates from group action equations found in the NDS, but that is typically for multiple fasteners in a single member. you will be removing material from the area with the most stress, and effectively contributing to tension in the wood against the tube. you could use weathered cedar data to ensure you don't induce splitting midspan.

hope that helps.

Atrium said:
A rather strange response. This specific forum is asking technical questions, as per other postings. If you want to ask followup questions, simply ask but don't shut down a legitimate posting question by redirection. I btw, have received exceptionally good advice from "random people" on the internet. Pls don't respond unless you have something positive to add to my question. Thanks.

It's a safety issue. I agree that you should consult your local building codes and the associated enforcement office. Since this is structural, you likely need to get a permit for it, and get it inspected and signed off at the end of the project. Thread is closed.

1. How much weight can a stainless steel tube hold?

The weight load of a stainless steel tube depends on several factors, including the diameter, wall thickness, and type of stainless steel. In general, stainless steel tubes can hold a significant amount of weight, with some larger tubes capable of supporting several thousand pounds.

2. What is the formula for calculating the weight load of a stainless steel tube?

The formula for calculating the weight load of a stainless steel tube is weight load = (pi x (outer diameter - wall thickness) x wall thickness x length) x density of stainless steel. This formula takes into account the dimensions and density of the tube to determine its weight load capacity.

3. How does the grade of stainless steel affect weight load?

The grade of stainless steel can greatly impact the weight load capacity of a stainless steel tube. Higher grades, such as 316 or 304, are generally stronger and more corrosion-resistant, making them better suited for heavy weight loads. Lower grades, such as 201 or 430, may have a lower weight load capacity and are better suited for lighter loads.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using stainless steel tubes for weight-bearing purposes?

When using stainless steel tubes for weight-bearing purposes, it is important to consider the maximum weight load capacity and not exceed it. It is also important to ensure that the tube is properly supported and secured to prevent any accidents or damage. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure the integrity of the tube.

5. Can stainless steel tubes be used for both vertical and horizontal weight loads?

Yes, stainless steel tubes can be used for both vertical and horizontal weight loads. However, the weight load capacity may differ depending on the direction of the load. It is important to consider the orientation of the tube when calculating weight load and to use appropriate supports and fasteners for the specific application.