Vis-viva equation (Orbital Velocity) with massive satellite?

In summary, Wikipedia states that in the vis-viva equation, the mass of the orbiting body is considered negligible in comparison to the mass of the central body. However, it is questioned how the velocity is determined if the satellite's mass is non-negligible, such as in a binary star system. The equation defines v as the relative speed of the two bodies and in the case of significant differences in mass, the speed of each body will differ. One user explains that the equation can be rearranged to find the speed of one body if the combined speed and masses of both are known. They clarified that v represents the combined speed of both bodies, not just one.
taylorules
Wikipedia states that "In the vis-viva equation the mass m of the orbiting body (e.g., a spacecraft ) is taken to be negligible in comparison to the mass M of the central body."
I'm wondering how the velocity is determined if the satellite's mass is non-negligible. For example, in a binary star system where both stars have comparable masses, would the vis-viva equation be accurate?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you found an answer to your question yet? I was waiting for someone to reply to you because I found the vis-viva equation interesting. So don't take my post as an authoritative answer.

v is defined as the relative speed of the two bodies. If the difference in mass of the two bodies is not significant then simply adding the two masses should work.

gif.latex?v_o=\sqrt{G(M_1+M_2)\left(\frac{2}{r}-\frac{1}{a}&space;\right&space;)}.gif

But since I could not find a reference of the equation being used this way, I am not sure that it is correct.

Keep in mind that the relative speed of the two bodies is not the same thing as the speed of one body about the common center of mass of the two bodies. In the latter case, the speed of one body will be different from the speed of the other body if there masses are different.

TurtleMeister said:
v is defined as the relative speed of the two bodies.
Thank you! That was the problem.
Because Body1's speed = Body2's speed * (Mass2/Mass1), and v = Body1's speed + Body2's speed, I found Body2's speed = (Mass1 * v) / (Mass1 + Mass2).
The problem was that I thought v represented Body2's speed, not the combined speed of both.
Thanks

Glad I could help. If you write out the equation using your method, you will find that the (M1+M2) cancels out:

gif.latex?v_1=\sqrt{GM_2\left(\frac{2}{r}-\frac{1}{a}&space;\right&space;)}.gif

gif.latex?v_2=\sqrt{GM_1\left(\frac{2}{r}-\frac{1}{a}&space;\right&space;)}.gif

This is the speed of each body relative to the barycentre of the two bodies.

The vis-viva equation, also known as the orbital velocity equation, is a fundamental equation used in orbital mechanics to calculate the velocity of an orbiting body around a central body. The equation takes into account the masses of both bodies, as well as their distance from each other.

In the case of a massive satellite orbiting a central body, the vis-viva equation assumes that the mass of the satellite is negligible compared to the central body. This is a reasonable assumption for most satellite orbits around planets or other large celestial bodies, as the mass of the satellite is much smaller than that of the central body.

However, in a binary star system where both stars have comparable masses, the vis-viva equation may not be accurate. In this case, the masses of both stars would need to be taken into account in the equation to accurately determine the orbital velocity of the satellite.

In general, the vis-viva equation is most accurate when the mass of the orbiting body is significantly smaller than the central body. For systems where the masses are comparable, more complex equations and calculations would need to be used to determine the orbital velocity.

Overall, the vis-viva equation is a useful tool in orbital mechanics, but its accuracy may vary depending on the specific system being studied.

1. What is the Vis-viva equation and how is it related to orbital velocity?

The Vis-viva equation, also known as the orbital energy equation, is a mathematical formula used to calculate the velocity of an object in orbit around a central body. It states that the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the orbiting object is equal to half of the gravitational potential energy between the two bodies. This equation is important for understanding the motion and stability of objects in orbit.

2. How does the mass of a satellite affect its orbital velocity?

The mass of a satellite does not directly affect its orbital velocity. According to the Vis-viva equation, the orbital velocity is determined by the distance between the satellite and the central body, as well as the mass of the central body. However, the mass of the satellite can indirectly affect its orbital velocity through the gravitational pull it exerts on other objects in the orbit, potentially altering their trajectories.

3. Can the Vis-viva equation be used for any type of orbit?

Yes, the Vis-viva equation can be used for any type of orbit, including circular, elliptical, and parabolic orbits. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes a two-body system, where the central body is much more massive than the orbiting object. For more complex systems with multiple bodies, other equations and models may need to be used.

4. How is the Vis-viva equation related to the escape velocity of a satellite?

The escape velocity of a satellite is the minimum velocity required for it to break free from the gravitational pull of a central body and escape into space. The Vis-viva equation can be used to calculate this velocity, as it represents the minimum amount of energy an object needs to overcome the gravitational potential energy and escape. In other words, the escape velocity is equal to the square root of two times the orbital velocity calculated using the Vis-viva equation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Vis-viva equation?

Yes, the Vis-viva equation has many real-world applications in the field of space exploration and satellite technology. It is used to calculate the orbital velocities of satellites and spacecraft, as well as to predict and plan their trajectories. This equation is also important for understanding the stability and longevity of satellite orbits, as well as for launching and docking procedures in space missions.