Smoothed particle hydrodynamics

In summary, the speaker is looking for assistance in replicating the simulations and values from a specific paper on the topic of moon formation. They are unsure of how to begin coding and are seeking advice and potentially examples of SPH methods.
Artemisia
I wish to replicate the simulations and values obtained in the following paper but I do not know where to start my coding from.

http://lasp.colorado.edu/~espoclass/ASTR_5835_2013_Files/2013_10_29_Canup.Moon.Icarus.2004.pdf

How must I start the code? I am aware that I need to integrate the appendix with some codes but I am very unsure as to how to begin.

Please help :(

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

It might be an idea to find some examples of SPH methods, coded in c or fortran, to get you started. There are plenty of simple codes out there. You can then modify then accordingly with the specific discretised equations that you want to solve (ie the ones you mention in this paper).

1. What is Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH)?

Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) is a computational method used to simulate fluid flow by representing the fluid as a collection of particles that interact with each other based on physical laws and equations. It is a meshless method, meaning it does not require a predefined grid or mesh to calculate fluid motion.

2. What are the advantages of using SPH over traditional fluid simulation methods?

One advantage of SPH is its ability to accurately model complex fluid dynamics, including free surface flows and multiphase flows. It also allows for a more realistic representation of fluid behavior, such as splashing and mixing. Additionally, SPH can handle large deformations and interactions between different materials without requiring complex algorithms.

3. What are some common applications of Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics?

SPH has a wide range of applications, including fluid dynamics in engineering (such as ship and aircraft design), astrophysics (such as modeling galaxy formation), and geophysics (such as simulating ocean currents and tides). It is also used in the entertainment industry for creating realistic water and fluid effects in movies and video games.

4. How does SPH handle boundary conditions?

In SPH, boundary conditions are handled by adding particles on the boundary and applying appropriate forces and constraints to these particles. This allows for a more accurate representation of fluid behavior near boundaries, such as walls or surfaces, compared to traditional methods that use fixed grids.

5. What are some limitations of Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics?

One limitation of SPH is its computational cost, as it requires a large number of particles to accurately simulate complex fluid behavior. This can make it time-consuming and resource-intensive. Additionally, SPH has difficulty in simulating highly viscous fluids and turbulence. However, ongoing research and advancements in SPH techniques are continuously addressing these limitations.