What is the use of http headers?

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
In summary, including headers in a python script for downloading an image from a website is not always necessary, but can be useful for providing information to the browser and establishing a connection. It may also be required for accessing certain websites or protected content. Some tools for viewing and managing headers include netcat, packet capture software, and browser debugging tools such as Firebug.
adjacent
Gold Member
For example, I am downloading an image file from example.com using a python script.
Is there any need to include the headers in the script? I don't see anything happening if I don't include the headers.
So what is the need of it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
As far as I'm aware of the only mandatory header in HTTP 1.1 is "Host: ". However it might be better if your script can also send appropriate headers to define the encoding, and request the TCP connection to be closed or kept open.

Likes 1 person
[Edit: I thought you were only trying to download an image :tongue: ]

You need http header options especially in case the website in contact needs e.g your credentials for access (username, password, apikey etc). Plus, it depends on which method you use to send your packet so as to include your appropriate request header i.e partial vs full download stream, request string from your client to the server in transaction etc.

If for example you would want to download an image from the site example.com, you can just need to GET the image location provided that you've been granted your access right to the site.
In case you would want to query something from the site which has supplied you with i.e public api methods, they sure also document them on their website, visit and follow their examples.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for the answers. Can the site Identify me as a bot if I don't use the headers?

Can the site Identify me as a bot if I don't use the headers?

Some sites do use headers for that, but it's very few of them and in most cases that's just for protecting copyrighted material (e.g. videos). So most likely you won't have trouble.

If you notice that it doesn't work (and you're not doing any nasty things) I'd suggest you use netcat in server mode and send a browser request to it. You'll be able to see on screen all the headers that your browser sends. Alternatively, you can use packet capture software to inspect your browser's requests to the real site.

Likes 1 person
martiandawn said:
If you notice that it doesn't work (and you're not doing any nasty things) I'd suggest you use netcat in server mode and send a browser request to it. You'll be able to see on screen all the headers that your browser sends. Alternatively, you can use packet capture software to inspect your browser's requests to the real site.

The 'firebug' add-on for firefox can also be used to find the request and response headers. :smile:

The 'firebug' add-on for firefox can also be used to find the request and response headers.

Thanks for the tip!

All of the major browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE) have debugging capabilities that can be accessed from the F12 key. Using the F12 debugging tools you can see the request and response headers and quite a bit more.

Likes 2 people
Mark44 said:
All of the major browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE) have debugging capabilities that can be accessed from the F12 key. Using the F12 debugging tools you can see the request and response headers and quite a bit more.

I've played with web apps for years and never knew about the F12 key. Thx.

1. What are HTTP headers used for?

HTTP headers are used to provide additional information about a request or response being sent between a client and a server. They can be used for a variety of purposes, such as controlling caching behavior, providing authentication, and indicating the content type of a response.

2. How do HTTP headers work?

HTTP headers are a part of the HTTP protocol and are included in both the request and response messages. They consist of a name-value pair and are separated from the message body by a blank line. When a client sends a request, it includes headers that provide information about the request, and the server responds with its own headers that provide information about the response.

3. What is the difference between request and response headers?

Request headers are sent by the client to the server and provide information about the request being made, such as the type of request, the content type, and any cookies or authentication tokens. Response headers are sent by the server to the client and provide information about the response, such as the status code, content type, and caching instructions.

4. Can HTTP headers be modified?

Yes, HTTP headers can be modified by both the client and the server. Clients can modify request headers to provide specific information or to override default behavior, while servers can modify response headers to control caching behavior or provide additional information to the client.

5. Are there different types of HTTP headers?

Yes, there are several different types of HTTP headers, including general headers, request headers, response headers, and entity headers. General headers are used in both requests and responses and provide information about the message itself. Request headers provide information about the request being made, while response headers provide information about the response. Entity headers are used to provide information about the content of the message, such as the content type and length.