What is the signal flow in this circuit diagram?

In summary: Just like with any other electronic device, it's important to have a good understanding of the code in order to make sure things are running properly.In summary, the circuit is a Drum Machine that uses a microcontroller and chips to produce sound. The signal path is shown and explained in detail. The chips are used to produce different sounds, while the resistor and capacitor regulate the pitch. The user should definitely consult the datasheet for the microcontroller in order to understand it better.
propeller
Hey guys I am having trouble understanding this circuit. Can someone help me get through it, and explain to me what the signal is doing form start to end please?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2014-08-29 à 12.47.33.png
    Capture d’écran 2014-08-29 à 12.47.33.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 637
Engineering news on Phys.org
propeller said:
Hey guys I am having trouble understanding this circuit. Can someone help me get through it, and explain to me what the signal is doing form start to end please?

Uh ... you want to maybe throw out a hint or two? Like, where did you get it, what is it supposed to be for, stuff like that ... you know ... REALLY basic information!

right.. I am working on this memoir and don't know where to put my head anymore, sorry about that. I am working on a memoir in which I am talking about the Drum Machine! So i did all the history, the protagonist brands on the market today, and i thought it will be a good idea to build my own drum machine. looked on the internet for some ideas and found the Bleep Drum by Dr. Bleep. Great! so i bought one, built one with the easy instructions they have on there website, but i really want to explain in my memoire how everything works. So this diagram was downloaded straight from his website, and I let myself wrote what i knew, what i didnt...etc
Here is a list of the bleep drum's components: 1x Cicruit imprimé sur carte
1x Arduino Atmega328P chip
1x MCP4901 IC chip
1x Prise DIP 28 broches
1x Prise DIP 8 broches
1x Resonator de 16MHz
1x Transistor 78I05
2x Potentiometre 10K
4x Boutons 12mm Bleu, Rouge, Jaune et Vert
4x Boutons 6mm noir
1x Capacitor 10uF
2x capacitor 220uF
5x Resistor 1k
1x RGB LED
1x Jack stéréo (1/8)
1x interupteur SPDT
1x Batterie 9V

Better picture

Here is a better picture

Attachments

• Bleep-Drum-v12-Schematic.jpg
    Bleep-Drum-v12-Schematic.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 554
propeller said:
right.. I am working on this memoir and don't know where to put my head anymore, sorry about that. I am working on a memoir in which I am talking about the Drum Machine! So i did all the history, the protagonist brands on the market today, and i thought it will be a good idea to build my own drum machine. looked on the internet for some ideas and found the Bleep Drum by Dr. Bleep. Great! so i bought one, built one with the easy instructions they have on there website, but i really want to explain in my memoire how everything works. So this diagram was downloaded straight from his website, and I let myself wrote what i knew, what i didnt...etc
Here is a list of the bleep drum's components: 1x Cicruit imprimé sur carte
1x Arduino Atmega328P chip
1x MCP4901 IC chip
1x Prise DIP 28 broches
1x Prise DIP 8 broches
1x Resonator de 16MHz
1x Transistor 78I05
2x Potentiometre 10K
4x Boutons 12mm Bleu, Rouge, Jaune et Vert
4x Boutons 6mm noir
1x Capacitor 10uF
2x capacitor 220uF
5x Resistor 1k
1x RGB LED
1x Jack stéréo (1/8)
1x interupteur SPDT
1x Batterie 9V

What is your circuit/electronics background? Have you read the datasheet for that microcontroller (uC)?

there are no datasheet but here is the background:

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2014-08-29 à 16.55.41.png
    Capture d’écran 2014-08-29 à 16.55.41.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 517
propeller said:
there are no datasheet but here is the background:

That's the component placement drawing.

And of course there is a datasheet. Just look it up on the web and download it to your PC to read.

What is a datasheet exactly? Do you mean the legend for the symbols?

propeller said:
What is a datasheet exactly? Do you mean the legend for the symbols?

No, a datasheet is published by the uC supplier. In the case of Arduino uCs, that supplier company is Arduino:

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products

You should download the datasheet for the chip, to learn more about how it is used.

thank you for that, but this is datasheet is going way to profound, I really would like to know how basically the signal goes from a component to another and how is it affected by each of the components presented on the diagram. The chips are basically filters with programmed code inside in which the signal goes through right?

what I am understanding here is that the programmed code is the source of the sounds produced by the tactiles? so the resistors are used here more as regulators, whereas the two capacitor modifies the pitch and adds distortion (two codes included in the micro chip), tactiles would be switches, each letting the signal to interract with the sound connected to them

propeller said:
what I am understanding here is that the programmed code is the source of the sounds produced by the tactiles? so the resistors are used here more as regulators, whereas the two capacitor modifies the pitch and adds distortion (two codes included in the micro chip), tactiles would be switches, each letting the signal to interract with the sound connected to them
When you write about components in a schematic, it's good practice to remember to include their names, i.e. 'R1', 'C1' etc.

I guess you're talking about the signal path from the microcontroller to the jack output?

All the magic happens in the microcontroller itself. R3 and R4 is just a voltage divider to drop the level and C1 AC-couples the signal to block any DC component. The microcontroller feeds this passive network through a digital-to-analog converter, which is controlled using a SPI-bus.

That is it! thank for your quick answers

1. What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit, showing the connections and components that make up the circuit. It uses standardized symbols to represent different electrical components and their connections, making it easier to understand and analyze the circuit.

2. Why are circuit diagrams important?

Circuit diagrams are important because they allow us to visualize and understand how an electrical circuit works. They also help in troubleshooting and designing new circuits, as well as communicating ideas and information about the circuit to others.

3. How do I read a circuit diagram?

To read a circuit diagram, start by identifying the power source, usually represented by a battery symbol. Next, trace the path of the circuit, following the lines and symbols to see how the components are connected. Pay attention to the direction of the arrows, as they indicate the flow of current. Refer to a legend or key to understand the meaning of each symbol.

4. What are the most common symbols used in circuit diagrams?

Some of the most common symbols used in circuit diagrams include a battery, resistor, capacitor, diode, transistor, and switch. There are also symbols for different types of wires, such as a straight line for a conductor and a zigzag line for a resistor. A legend or key should be used to identify all the symbols used in a specific diagram.

5. How can I create my own circuit diagram?

To create a circuit diagram, you can use specialized software or online tools that have built-in symbols and templates. Alternatively, you can draw your circuit diagram by hand, using a pencil and paper or a drawing program. Make sure to use standardized symbols and label all components and connections clearly for easy understanding.