Is there a relationship between magnetism and energy (electrical)?

In summary, the relationship between electricity and magnetism is that they are both forms of energy that can be converted into each other. This is known as Faraday's Law and is governed by Maxwell's equations. However, the efficiency of this conversion is dependent on various factors such as the type of materials used, winding methods, and types of resistance present. This efficiency is often determined through empirical results rather than purely mathematical constructs. Additionally, the conversion of electricity and magnetism is not as direct as other forms of energy conversion due to imperfections and internal resistance.
shushi_boi
As many people know, you can use electrical energy to create magnetism (electromagnets) and you can use permanent magnets to create electrical energy through induction (generators, the rotor inducing the stator). So what is the relationship here? Magnetism is not a form of energy or an energy carrier (of potential energy) from my understanding, so what gives? Where can I start in understanding this relationship? (is there a website or videos to help further assess this?)

Sorry I'm just confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, it is called Faraday's Law

Nice, thanks Physics_UG for the straightforward answer!

I will have an interesting read this weekend about electrodynamics and so fourth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=353125

I guess the only question that I have left is how does an electrical physicist know when a device he creates that converts magnetism (gauss) to electrical energy and vice versa, how would he know if such devices are efficient? I know that there are a lot of variables to consider such as windings (the type, how many layers, at what angle, what materials etc.) the types of resistance that would be found in the devices, how far the electric field would radiate, the type of current used and produced (ac/dc) etc. If there is more than one method of knowing this conversion is that method considered the most efficient to be the standard or would the standard be derived from theoretical mathematical process? (such as the more direct conversion of chemical and electrical energy because that deals with the same components of electrons from what I understand)

Last edited:
This is what I read from another post [which deals with internal resistance from a electrical-mechanical energy conversion] which would suggest that such a formula would more or so be derived from empirical results rather than formulating a purely mathematical construct (makes sense due to the nature of mechanical energy)
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=297491

This is what was stated;

"Suppose the height of initial release of the mass minus the height of detachment is h. Then if the mass falls freely (without flywheel), the total kinetic energy of the mass is mgh = (1/2)mv2. But in the case where it is attached to the flywheel, its final velocity at point of detachment is v1. So its energy at release is now (1/2)mv12. So the missing energy is (1/2)m[v2 - v12]. This was all transferred to the flywheel.

If the flywheel were frictionless and the generator perfect, all the flywheel energy would be converted to electric power. All inertial energy remaining in the flywheel after release of the mass would also be converted to electric power. To maximize the total electric energy, the objective then is to make the final velocity of the mass v1 as small as possible. If the flywheel were massive and v1 were small, then the electrical energy would be nearly mgh. If mgh were expressed in joules, then mgh/3600 would be the energy in watt-hours, or in volt amp hours. "

So I would suppose that the relationship of magnetism and electricity isn't direct, in the sense that the factors that I listed in my post from above would deal with imperfections and internal resistance which would differ from the conversions of electricity-heat or electricity-chemical because these ones are more direct.

Last edited:

Yes, there is a clear relationship between magnetism and energy. Magnetism and electricity are both components of the electromagnetic force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. This means that they are closely related and interact with each other.

Electromagnetism is the phenomenon where an electric current flowing through a wire creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field can be increased or decreased by changing the strength of the current. This is the basis of electromagnets, which are used in a variety of applications such as motors, generators, and MRI machines.

On the other hand, magnetism can also be used to create electricity through a process called electromagnetic induction. This is when a moving magnet is placed near a conductive material, such as a wire, and the changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the wire. This is how generators work, converting mechanical energy into electrical energy.

In summary, magnetism and energy are closely connected through the electromagnetic force. The flow of electrical energy can create magnetism, and magnetism can also be used to create electrical energy. Understanding this relationship is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and technology.

There are many resources available online to help further your understanding of this relationship. Some good starting points could be watching videos on electromagnetism and electromagnetic induction, or reading articles on the topic from reputable sources such as scientific journals or educational websites. You could also consult with a physics teacher or professor for further guidance and clarification.

1. What is the relationship between magnetism and energy (electrical)?

The relationship between magnetism and energy is that they are both forms of energy and are closely related. Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that is caused by the motion of electric charges, while electrical energy is the energy that is produced by the movement of electrons. In other words, magnetism creates electrical energy and electrical energy can create magnetism.

2. How are magnetism and energy (electrical) related in everyday life?

In everyday life, we encounter the relationship between magnetism and energy in various ways. For example, the electricity that powers our homes is produced by the rotation of turbines in power plants, which are controlled by powerful magnets. Additionally, many household appliances such as refrigerators, speakers, and motors use magnets and electricity to function.

3. Can magnetism be converted into electrical energy?

Yes, magnetism can be converted into electrical energy through a process called electromagnetic induction. This is the principle behind how generators and power plants produce electricity. When a wire is moved through a magnetic field, it creates an electric current in the wire. This is the basis of many renewable energy sources such as hydroelectric and wind power.

4. Is there a difference between magnetism and electricity?

While magnetism and electricity are closely related, they are not the same thing. Magnetism is a force that can attract or repel objects, while electricity is the flow of charged particles. Additionally, magnetism can exist without electricity, as seen in permanent magnets, but electricity cannot exist without some type of magnetism.

5. How does the relationship between magnetism and energy play a role in technology?

The relationship between magnetism and energy has a significant impact on technology. Many electronic devices such as computers, cell phones, and televisions use both magnetism and electricity to function. Additionally, advancements in magnetic materials and their ability to store and transfer energy have led to more efficient and powerful technologies. The use of magnetism and electricity will continue to be crucial in the development of future technologies.