Register to reply

What does my distilled water contain

by Mniazi
Tags: distilled, water
Share this thread:
Mniazi
Aug31-14, 03:12 AM
P: 40
I had this distilled battery water, it fizzes when I throw it on rock and it turns copper hydroxide into a greenish solution. does it have hydrochloric acid?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemical biologists find new halogenation enzyme
Protein secrets of Ebola virus
Protein courtship revealed through chemist's lens
Greg Bernhardt
Sep8-14, 05:01 PM
Admin
P: 9,698
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
Travis_King
Sep8-14, 05:18 PM
P: 851
When you say battery water, are you talking about the liquid that is inside of a lead-acid battery? That is a mixture of distilled water and battery acid (sulfuric acid, H2SO4)

Copper Hydroxide [ Cu(OH)2 ] reacts with diluted Sulfuric Acid [ H2SO4 ] to form water and Copper Sulfate [ CuSO4 ].

Edit: Though, why it's green I couldn't tell you...I'm not super good with chemistry, but this reaction is pretty much the way to create Blue Vitriol.

cpman
Sep8-14, 07:39 PM
P: 11
What does my distilled water contain

Battery "water" is sulfuric acid (H2SO4).
It turns green when it reacts copper hydroxide because copper (II) ions are blue in solution.
From the reaction that should occur:
Cu(OH)2 (s) + H2SO4 (aq) = CuSO4 (aq) + H2O (l)
Copper (II) sulfate should be produced. In solution, this is a deep blue color. The fact that it is green as opposed to blue means that there is something else in your H2SO4 that the copper is forming a complex with. For instance, in citric acid, copper (II) ions form a light green complex. So, you've got H2SO4 with some sort of contamination. I'm not sure what it could be.

Register to reply