What does my distilled water contain

• Thread starter Mniazi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction between distilled battery water and copper hydroxide, which results in a greenish solution due to the formation of copper sulfate. The speaker also mentions that battery water is actually sulfuric acid and speculates that the green color could be due to some contamination in the acid.
Mniazi
I had this distilled battery water, it fizzes when I throw it on rock and it turns copper hydroxide into a greenish solution. does it have hydrochloric acid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

When you say battery water, are you talking about the liquid that is inside of a lead-acid battery? That is a mixture of distilled water and battery acid (sulfuric acid, H2SO4)

Copper Hydroxide [ Cu(OH)2 ] reacts with diluted Sulfuric Acid [ H2SO4 ] to form water and Copper Sulfate [ CuSO4 ].

Edit: Though, why it's green I couldn't tell you...I'm not super good with chemistry, but this reaction is pretty much the way to create Blue Vitriol.

Last edited:
Battery "water" is sulfuric acid (H2SO4).
It turns green when it reacts copper hydroxide because copper (II) ions are blue in solution.
From the reaction that should occur:
Cu(OH)2 (s) + H2SO4 (aq) = CuSO4 (aq) + H2O (l)
Copper (II) sulfate should be produced. In solution, this is a deep blue color. The fact that it is green as opposed to blue means that there is something else in your H2SO4 that the copper is forming a complex with. For instance, in citric acid, copper (II) ions form a light green complex. So, you've got H2SO4 with some sort of contamination. I'm not sure what it could be.

Based on your description, it is likely that your distilled water contains some impurities or contaminants, which could be responsible for the fizzing and reaction with the rock and copper hydroxide. It is possible that hydrochloric acid is present, but without further testing or analysis, it is difficult to determine the exact composition of the water. I would recommend conducting a chemical analysis to determine the specific components present in the water.

1. What is the definition of distilled water?

Distilled water is water that has been purified through a process called distillation, which involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam back into liquid form. This process removes impurities and minerals from the water, resulting in a pure and clean form of water.

2. Does distilled water contain any minerals or nutrients?

No, distilled water does not contain any minerals or nutrients. The distillation process removes all impurities, including minerals, from the water. While this makes distilled water very pure, it also means that it does not contain any beneficial minerals that other types of water may have.

3. Is distilled water safe to drink?

Yes, distilled water is safe to drink. The distillation process removes impurities and contaminants from the water, making it safe for consumption. However, because it does not contain any minerals, it is not recommended for long-term consumption as it may lead to mineral deficiencies in the body.

4. Can I use distilled water for cooking and other household purposes?

Yes, distilled water can be used for cooking and other household purposes. It is often recommended for use in appliances such as humidifiers, steam irons, and car batteries, as it does not contain minerals that can cause buildup or damage. However, it may not be ideal for cooking as it does not have the same taste as other types of water.

5. Is there any difference between distilled water and purified water?

Yes, there is a difference between distilled water and purified water. Distilled water undergoes a specific distillation process, while purified water can be produced through various methods such as filtration, reverse osmosis, or distillation. Additionally, distilled water is considered to be the purest form of water, while purified water may still contain some minerals or impurities.