Register to reply

Meteoritical History of the Solar System

by connorp
Tags: history, meteoritical, solar
Share this thread:
connorp
Sep1-14, 12:05 PM
P: 26
I'm trying to create a chronological timeline of the formation of solids in the solar system with examples of meteorites for each step. Let me know if this order looks right.

First solids condense in the solar nebula (Calcium aluminum inclusions in carbonaceous chrondrites).

Chondrules rapidly form and begin to gravitational attract each other, forming the first minor planets (petrological type 3 chondrites).

Collisions of minor planets became more frequent as more formed and they got larger. Primitive achondrites were formed as a results of increased internal heating (due to larger bodies) and external heating from collisions.

Large asteroids become geologically differentiated (iron meteorites).

Asteroids accrete to form planetesimals (HED achondrites from 4 Vesta).

Rocky planets begin to form (shergottites and some Earth rock).

Planetary satellites are formed or captured (lunar breccia).

Does this look correct?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chandra X-ray Observatory finds planet that makes star act deceptively old
Astronomers release most detailed catalogue ever made of the visible Milky Way
Planets with oddball orbits like Mercury could host life
Greg Bernhardt
Sep8-14, 05:00 PM
Admin
P: 9,700
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
connorp
Sep8-14, 05:59 PM
P: 26
Not really. All I really need clarification on is if the order is correct. Those are the only major events possible to include and the example specimens are definitely correct for each step. So just whether the order is right, which I suspect it is.

Register to reply