About the hype over radioactive decay not being constant

In summary, the article that you have stumbled upon suggests that there might be a slight variability in the half-lives of elements used for dating, which would mean that our current dating methods might be slightly less accurate than we think. However, this does not invalidate the entire theory, as it has been tested and confirmed in many other cases. It is important to remain skeptical and continue to verify and refine our methods, but it is not a cause for major concern or excitement as it does not overturn everything we know about radioactive dating.
Hati
So I came across something learning about carbon dating because new student in university taking geology. So brushing up more on fossils and obscure things so the year won't be a total shock. I inevitably got interested by what I was reading then I stumbled on the creationist blogosphere pointing to this lot

http://phys.org/news202456660.html

(crackpot link deleted)

I've learned to be scpetical over things the creationists get excited about but I don't have a background in physics (or a significant background in general) so I don't really know what to be suspicious of and how to approach it. I can read the article and find it fairly agreeable which is prompting me to ask here.

I don't have access to their research papers and funnily enough I don't think I could read them anyway at my education level. Is this real? what's been done to verify or disprove it? and more out of curiosity... what would the implications be for radio carbon dating if it is real?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Implications? In the worst case clock we are using is slightly less accurate than we think it is. Say, what we expect to be 10000±100 years old is 10000±200 years old. It definitely doesn't put everything we know on the head.

Likes 1 person
Is that all it would mean? Seems rather an unspectacular thing to get excited over.

Hi Hati
welcome to PF :smile:

from your first link ... "In general, the fluctuations that Jenkins and Fischbach have found are around a tenth of a percent from what is expected, as they've examined available published data and taken some measurements themselves."

1/10 of 1 % ... not overly significant huh :wink:

and skimming through the second article that it wasn't even talking about a natural variation in decay rates but
rather applying "methods" to forcefully change decay ratesD

Hati said:
Is that all it would mean? Seems rather an unspectacular thing to get excited over.

It would be quite spectacular if we were to detect such a variability in half times, as our current models don't predict that. These models were tested and tested on zillions on occasions and in zillions of papers, so we are sure they are quite right. However, in the immortal words of Richard Feynman - we can be never right, we can be only wrong. We can't prove any model is correct - we can show it to be correct in many cases, but a single experiment can prove us wrong. That would be the case here (if these observations were confirmed, no idea what their status is). Note, that in most cases it just means we have found limits of our current theory - it will still work perfectly correct describing cases tried so far, but in the general case it will be superseded by a new, better theory. That's how science works.

So - if we were to detect the variability in the half lives of the elements used for dating, it would make error bars on our measurements larger - but it would not falsify them completely. We have not used the radioactive dating methods in isolation from other methods - and each time we compared the measurement results made by different methods we either found them to give the same answer, or, if the answers were different, we used this information to refine our methodology to make more reliable.

Cries over carbon dating being wrong is a classic strategy of those not liking conclusions of some theory - no matter how well this theory is tried, if there is some new aspect that doesn't fit, they will cry "the theory is wrong" and they will use this fact to negate everything that it predicts, even if it was shown to be correct on many occasion. Cheap trick used by those with an agenda, and a trick that may look right only to those not understanding how the science works.

Likes 1 person

1. What is radioactive decay and why is it important?

Radioactive decay is the spontaneous breakdown of unstable atomic nuclei, resulting in the release of energy in the form of radiation. It is important because it allows us to determine the age of rocks, fossils, and archaeological artifacts, as well as to understand the behavior of elements in different environments.

2. Is radioactive decay constant?

No, radioactive decay is not constant. While the average rate of decay for a particular isotope remains constant, the actual rate can vary due to a number of factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions.

3. Why is there hype around the idea that radioactive decay may not be constant?

There has been some recent research suggesting that the rate of radioactive decay may not be as constant as previously believed. This has sparked interest and discussion among scientists as it could potentially impact our understanding of the age of the Earth and other important scientific phenomena.

4. How do scientists measure the rate of radioactive decay?

Scientists use a technique called radiometric dating to measure the rate of radioactive decay. This involves measuring the amount of a particular isotope in a sample and comparing it to the amount of its decay product. By knowing the half-life of the isotope, scientists can calculate the age of the sample.

5. What implications could a non-constant rate of radioactive decay have?

If the rate of radioactive decay is not constant, it could potentially affect our understanding of the age of the Earth and other geological processes. It could also impact the accuracy of radiometric dating and other scientific calculations that rely on the assumption of a constant decay rate.