Could Other Bacteria Glow in the Dark Like E.Coli?

• Thread starter Warpspeed13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glow
In summary, the high school lab experiment method of freezing them and then heat shocking them readily works on other bacteria.
Warpspeed13
Would the methods used to create glow in the dark e.coli readily work on other bacteria?

Biology news on Phys.org
Ok I guess I'll be more specific.What I mean is will the high school lab experiment method of freezing them and then heat shocking them readily work on other bacteria. Sorry for the unspecific first question I was tired and worded it vaguely.

I've done it myself in high school.

Yep same procedure will it readily transfer to other bacteria?

GFP (and its derivatives of different colours) has been successfully expressed by multiple species of bacteria. It's even been used in fish and mammals.

Do you know where the derivative Dolores can be purchased? I want to take pond scum from a local lake and make a glowing variety for a freshwater biome

In a fish tank

Please provide a link to "Dolores" so we can know exactly what it is you are asking. Note that GFP shines in UV light so you'll have to have a UV lamp to see anything.

Uggg stupid autocorrect. Sorry for the hassle I meant colors.

Warpspeed13 said:
Do you know where the derivative Dolores can be purchased? I want to take pond scum from a local lake and make a glowing variety for a freshwater biome

Note that most of the organisms commonly referred to as pond scum are not bacteria, but algae, a diverse group of unicellular eukaryotic organisms. While it is certainly possible to introduce fluorescent transgenes into these organisms, the procedures may be different from those used to modify bacteria. However, because there has been considerable research into modifying algae for biofuel applications, there may be some published, standard procedures for introducing transgenes into algae.

Ygggdrasil said:
Note that most of the organisms commonly referred to as pond scum are not bacteria, but algae, a diverse group of unicellular eukaryotic organisms. While it is certainly possible to introduce fluorescent transgenes into these organisms, the procedures may be different from those used to modify bacteria. However, because there has been considerable research into modifying algae for biofuel applications, there may be some published, standard procedures for introducing transgenes into algae.
Cool thanks, are you by any chance on the bungie forums?

Here's the procedure http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/K-12/...iBacterium.pdf [Broken]
From your reference:
In this lab, Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) from the bioluminescent jellyfish Aequorea victoria has been incorporated into a plasmid along with a gene for resistance to the antibiotic ampicillin...​
... which is the procedure referred to in the New Scientist article in post #2 isn't it?

Short answer "yes".

Last edited by a moderator:
Warpspeed13 said:
Cool thanks, are you by any chance on the bungie forums?

Nope, sorry.

Kk,.

1. What is glow in the dark E.Coli?

Glow in the dark E.Coli is a type of bacteria that has been genetically modified to produce a fluorescent protein, causing it to emit a greenish glow under certain conditions.

2. How is glow in the dark E.Coli created?

Glow in the dark E.Coli is created through genetic engineering techniques, where scientists insert DNA from bioluminescent organisms into the bacteria's genome. This allows the bacteria to produce the necessary proteins for glowing.

3. Is glow in the dark E.Coli safe?

Glow in the dark E.Coli is generally considered safe, as it is a non-pathogenic strain of the bacteria. However, precautions should still be taken when handling it in a laboratory setting.

4. What are the potential uses for glow in the dark E.Coli?

Glow in the dark E.Coli has potential applications in various fields, including biotechnology, environmental monitoring, and medical research. It can also be used as a tool for visualizing and studying bacterial growth and behavior.

5. How long does the glow last in glow in the dark E.Coli?

The duration of the glow in glow in the dark E.Coli depends on factors such as the strength of the light source used to activate it and the concentration of the fluorescent protein produced. In general, the glow can last for several hours to a few days.