Do you really want a bigger smartphone?

In summary, with Apple expected to announce a larger iPhone, some are preparing for the "Attack of the Giant Cellphones." However, others prioritize battery life and reception quality over screen size, and find some of the larger Android phones to be excessive. On the other hand, there are those who have grown to love the larger phone size and would never go back. Ultimately, the size of a phone is a matter of personal preference.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
With Apple expected to announce a larger iPhone tomorrow, let's all brace for the...

Attack of the Giant Cellphones! (CNN.com)

Computer science news on Phys.org
That is not the parody I was looking for, but it is also nice.

I think battery life and reception quality are still #1 for me. I use an iPhone 5 and could use a bit bigger screen. Not much though. Some of those Android phones are ridiculous.

This is slightly related but very funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOXQo7nURs0

No, thanks, I don't need a larger phone. I already had to buy cargo pants to be able to carry my S3 in Summer.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is slightly related but very funny!

And after the debacle of Apple Maps, here is MAP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCp-JSVSNZM

I was in Best Buy the other day and it seemed to me that they already had just about every size of phone covered in half-inch denominations, all the way from 3.5 inch up to almost the size of a tablet. :eek:

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3, which (I just measured) has roughly a 5" screen. When I first got it, I thought it was going to be very unwieldy and unfriendly to use, I was not looking forward to having a phone so big. Now that I've had the phone for 2 years, I would never go back to a smaller phone, I love the size and having that much room on the screen is fantastic for me. I'm looking at getting a Nexus 6 as my next phone if it's announced this fall.

Larger phone does not equal better. It is just a matter of preference. Also, if you have big hands I can understand that you would like a bigger phone.

I like the iphone 5 size and the Google Nexus 5 size. Anything bigger than the nexus 5 doesn't feel comfortable in my hand and I wouldn't be able to use it with one hand. Anything smaller than an iphone 5 is too small.

1. Is a bigger smartphone really necessary?

It depends on your personal preferences and needs. Some people may prefer a larger screen for easier viewing and typing, while others may find a smaller phone more convenient for portability. Consider your daily usage and decide if a bigger smartphone would benefit you.

2. Will a bigger smartphone be more expensive?

In most cases, yes. Larger smartphones usually come with a higher price tag due to their larger screens and more advanced features. However, there are also budget-friendly options available for those who want a bigger phone without breaking the bank.

3. Are there any disadvantages to having a bigger smartphone?

One potential disadvantage is that a bigger smartphone may be less comfortable to hold and use with one hand. It may also be more difficult to fit into smaller pockets or purses. Additionally, a larger screen may consume more battery life and may be more prone to accidental damage.

4. What are the benefits of having a bigger smartphone?

A bigger smartphone typically offers a larger screen, which can be beneficial for activities such as watching videos, playing games, and browsing the internet. It can also provide a better viewing experience for those with vision impairments. Some larger smartphones also come with additional features, such as a longer battery life and more storage space.

5. How do I know if a bigger smartphone is right for me?

Consider your daily phone usage and what features are important to you. If you frequently use your phone for activities that would benefit from a larger screen, such as watching videos or playing games, then a bigger smartphone may be a good choice for you. It's also helpful to physically test out different sizes and see which feels most comfortable for you to hold and use.