Keys for j and k are 1 and 2

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a tablet keyboard that was displaying numbers instead of letters for the j and k keys. The issue was suggested to be a software configuration problem, and a link was provided for potential solutions. The conversation also mentioned that tablet keyboards may not have a number pad and the issue could be due to the numlock being toggled on. Ultimately, it was suggested to try using the keyboard on a tablet to see if the issue persists.
mech-eng
Hi, all. I have bought a tablet keyboard. But its keys for j and k are 1 and 2. how can I correct that keys? Have nice day.

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
So you press a j and the screen shows a 1 and you press a k and the screen shows a 2 or is it the other way around press 1 to j press 2 to k.

This sounds like a software configuration issue. What OS does the tablet run?

Anyway, this may help:

http://www.siig.com/kbase/Keyboards/Keyboard_is_typing_wrong_characters.html

I have tried it with my window 8 laptop. Should I try it with a tablet-pc? I have not buy it but I am making preparations so I bought that Tablet cover with keyboard.

And I have tried it a few minutes ago. This time everything has seemed ok. I do not know the reason why it behaved so at that time. Digital devices and machines are just like humans sometimes they Show strange behaviors.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
On tablet keyboards, generally, the number pad is not present. The idea being to save space. Often, the number pad is placed on the regular keyboard and users can swap between letters and numbers by toggling the numlock.

take a look at this image
cQUKR.jpg

j=1, k=2, etc.

I strongly suspect, your number lock key was toggled on and thus the letters behaved as a number pad. The next time you tried, the numlock was off, and your keyboard worked as you expected it to work.

Test it out, check to see if you can turn on the numlock and see how it behaves.

Hello,

It sounds like there may be a mismatch between the key mappings on your tablet keyboard and the standard keyboard layout. This can sometimes happen with different manufacturers or settings. One possible solution would be to check the keyboard settings on your tablet and see if there is an option to change the key mappings. If not, you may need to contact the manufacturer for assistance in correcting this issue. I hope this helps and have a nice day as well.

1. What do the keys "j" and "k" represent in this context?

In this context, the keys "j" and "k" represent variables or placeholders for numerical values. They can be assigned any value, but in this case, they are assigned the values 1 and 2 respectively.

2. Why are the keys "j" and "k" assigned the values 1 and 2?

In this specific case, the keys "j" and "k" are most likely assigned the values 1 and 2 to represent a binary or Boolean system, where 1 and 2 can represent "true" and "false" or "on" and "off". However, without further context, it is impossible to determine the exact reason for these specific values.

3. Can the values assigned to the keys "j" and "k" be changed?

Yes, the values assigned to the keys "j" and "k" can be changed. These values are variables and can be reassigned to different values as needed.

4. What is the purpose of using keys "j" and "k" instead of specific numerical values?

The use of keys "j" and "k" instead of specific numerical values allows for more flexibility in the code. By using variables, the values can be easily changed or updated without having to change the entire code. This makes the code more efficient and easier to maintain.

5. How are the values assigned to the keys "j" and "k" used in the scientific context?

In a scientific context, the specific values assigned to the keys "j" and "k" will depend on the specific experiment or study being conducted. However, in general, these values could represent different conditions, variables, or parameters that are being tested or measured. The use of these keys allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the data collected from the study.