Meteorological curiosity - "volcano tornado"

In summary, this video features an unusual vortex spiraling 3300' above the Holuhraun volcano in Iceland. The phenomenon is reportedly similar to a "fire tornado," and is officially referred to as "wind anomalies from thermal convection."
Dotini
Gold Member
Viewers will be amused at the slender vortex snaking 3300' above the Iceland volcano, seen here in infrared video. Said to be similar to a "fire tornado", the Icelandic Met Office officially refers to the strange phenomenon as "wind anomalies from thermal convection."

http://www.livescience.com/47742-volcano-tornado-iceland-eruption-holuhraun.html
"We haven't seen anything like this before"

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
cool ! :)

don't think I have seen one related to a volcano before ... seen too many videos to remember haha

but these are quite common in bush fires we see here in Australia ... as commented, called firenadoes
I suspect the formation of them is very similar

cheers
Dave

Another meteorological curiosity - an amazing supercell with two simultaneous tornadoes. The one on the left is said anticyclonic, the one on the right cyclonic.

simla-supercell-kelly-delay.jpg

This phenomenal storm, with two tornadoes spinning simultaneously, was photographed late last week near Simla, Colo. (Kelly DeLay)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-amazing-supercell-two-incredible-tornadoes/Simultaneous aurora and lightning, from today's space weather.com
mn_strip.jpg

"I've never seen auroras and lightning visible side by side before," marvels Chester. "These photos were taken between 2 and 3 am on Monday, June 8th."

At about the same time in Hartford, Wisconsin, Jake Stehli witnessed a similar display. "The auroras were visible to the naked eye with lightning in a thunderhead on the horizon as well," he says.

Last edited:
Dotini said:
Another meteorological curiosity - an amazing supercell with two simultaneous tornadoes. The one on the left is said anticyclonic, the one on the right cyclonic.

awesome storm ... have 2 friends that have just got home to Oz from 3 weeks in the USA stormchasing. I just haven't had the money, health or available annual leave
to travel over there for the last few years :frown: I so miss my chase trips to the USA

twin and multi tornadoes for a single cell are common, not sure about the counter circulations tho ?
The other wild scenario is when a main tornado funnel starts producing multiple vortices around it that sometimes become large enough to be called a signif tornados in their own right ... then we have "sisters"

a pic from my chaser friend Reed Timmer ...

Tornado-multivortex.jpg

dunno who this one is from ?? ... would credit if I could ( not mine)

Multi-tornado.png
Dave

Likes Dotini
davenn said:
cool ! :)

don't think I have seen one related to a volcano before ... seen too many videos to remember haha

but these are quite common in bush fires we see here in Australia ... as commented, called firenadoes
I suspect the formation of them is very similar

cheers
Dave
I expect the Australian ones go round the other way though.

1. What is a "volcano tornado"?

A "volcano tornado" is a rare phenomenon that occurs when a volcanic eruption produces a strong vortex of ash, gas, and steam that resembles a tornado. It is also known as a "dirty tornado" due to the dark color caused by the ash and debris.

2. How do volcano tornadoes form?

Volcano tornadoes form when hot air and gases from a volcanic eruption rise and interact with cooler air in the atmosphere. This creates a strong vortex that can reach up to several kilometers in height.

3. Are volcano tornadoes dangerous?

Yes, volcano tornadoes can be dangerous as they can produce strong winds and hurl hot ash and debris at high speeds. They can also cause further damage to areas already affected by a volcanic eruption.

4. How long do volcano tornadoes last?

The duration of a volcano tornado can vary, but on average they last for a few minutes to an hour. However, in some cases, they can persist for several hours or even days.

5. Where can volcano tornadoes be observed?

Volcano tornadoes are a rare occurrence and can be observed near active volcanoes during or shortly after an eruption. They have been observed in various parts of the world, including Hawaii, Iceland, and Japan.