A quick question about Elliptical/Circular Orbit

• Thread starter Parto0o
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the correct expression for the kinetic energy of a planet moving in an elliptical orbit is not 1/2Iω^2 due to the fact that the formula only applies to a specific value of radial velocity, which is zero for uniform circular motion. The actual formula takes into account both radial and tangential components of velocity, resulting in a relationship between angular velocity and kinetic energy that varies based on the value of radial velocity. The final expression for kinetic energy in an elliptical orbit is E_k=mv^2/2=\frac{m}{2}({v_r^2+v_\theta^2}).
Parto0o
Hi everyone.

So I got this question in a test, but I'm not exactly sure about the answer.

Q: For a planet moving in an elliptical orbit, why is 1/2Iω^2 not the correct expression for its kinetic energy?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
How did you answer that question? Or were you so not sure that you had to leave it blank? You'll get much more helpful answers if we know how much you already know.

I think I have no idea about it. I already know the basic formulas, but cannot relate them to this question.

Parto0o said:
I think I have no idea about it. I already know the basic formulas, but cannot relate them to this question.

OK, then here's one way of thinking about it. At any given moment, the velocity vector of the orbiting object can be written as the sum of radial and tangential components. The kinetic energy depends on both (to be precise, ##E_k=mv^2/2=\frac{m}{2}\sqrt{v_r^2+v_\theta^2}##). The angular velocity depends only on the tangential component (##\omega=v_\theta/r##).

Just by looking those relationships, you can see that if two different objects have the same ##r## and ##v_\theta## they will have the same ##\omega## but can still have different ##v_r## values and hence different kinetic energies. Therefore, you will get different relationships between ##\omega## and kinetic energy for different values of ##v_r##. The formula you quote doesn't have that property so it can only be correct for a particular value of ##v_r##; that value is zero, which describes uniform circular motion.

Nugatory said:
OK, then here's one way of thinking about it. At any given moment, the velocity vector of the orbiting object can be written as the sum of radial and tangential components. The kinetic energy depends on both (to be precise, ##E_k=mv^2/2=\frac{m}{2}\sqrt{v_r^2+v_\theta^2}##). The angular velocity depends only on the tangential component (##\omega=v_\theta/r##).

Just by looking those relationships, you can see that if two different objects have the same ##r## and ##v_\theta## they will have the same ##\omega## but can still have different ##v_r## values and hence different kinetic energies. Therefore, you will get different relationships between ##\omega## and kinetic energy for different values of ##v_r##. The formula you quote doesn't have that property so it can only be correct for a particular value of ##v_r##; that value is zero, which describes uniform circular motion.

Good explanation, Nugatory; but the final answer for instantaneous Kinetic energy in elliptical orbit should be...

##E_k=mv^2/2=\frac{m}{2}[\sqrt{v_r^2+v_\theta^2}]^2=\frac{m}{2}({v_r^2+v_\theta^2})##

Because the resultant velocity vector itself, ##\sqrt{v_r^2+v_\theta^2}##,must be squared...
Thus the final answer, ##\frac{m}{2}({v_r^2+v_\theta^2})##, reveals that a zero radial velocity gives the correct kinetic energy for circular orbit.

1. What is an elliptical/circular orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which the object follows an oval-shaped path around another object, while a circular orbit is a type of orbit in which the object follows a perfectly circular path around another object.

2. What determines whether an orbit is elliptical or circular?

The shape of an orbit is determined by the speed and direction of the object's motion, as well as the gravitational pull of the object it is orbiting. If the object's speed and direction are such that it balances out the gravitational pull, the orbit will be circular. If there is more or less speed, the orbit will be elliptical.

3. What objects can have an elliptical or circular orbit?

Any object with a mass and a velocity can have an orbit. This can include planets, moons, satellites, comets, and even man-made spacecraft.

4. How do elliptical and circular orbits differ in terms of stability?

Circular orbits are considered more stable because they maintain a constant distance from the object being orbited. Elliptical orbits, on the other hand, can vary in distance depending on the object's speed and direction, making them less stable.

5. Can an elliptical orbit become circular?

Yes, it is possible for an elliptical orbit to become circular if the object's speed and direction are adjusted to balance out the gravitational pull of the object being orbited. However, this is not a common occurrence and usually requires a significant amount of energy and precision.