Right hand thumb rule curling fingers

• Thread starter ranju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary: actually current flows into the upper coil of the left-hand rule, regardless of the position of the thumb.
ranju
according to RHR , the curled fingers show the direction of magnetic field or flux & the thumb gives the direction of current.. but I am confused about the curling of fingers.. I want to make my doubt clear by the pictures I attached..
In bothe first & second picture , the magnetic field is in downward direction irrespective of direction of current..
but if we keep the hand in another way as in third , the direction of current is towards left but magnetic field is in upward direction..so which are correct way to find out the direction this thing is making me confused..! Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_20140913_164103.jpg
    IMG_20140913_164103.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_20140913_164154.jpg
    IMG_20140913_164154.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_20140913_164213.jpg
    IMG_20140913_164213.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 719
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'have already gone through that article but that's not answer to my query..! Please read the question once again.. In both the the 2nd & 3rd picture , current is towards left but by changing the hand posture , magnetic field direction is being changed.. then which is the correct one?

ranju said:
I'have already gone through that article but that's not answer to my query..! Please read the question once again.. In both the the 2nd & 3rd picture , current is towards left but by changing the hand posture , magnetic field direction is being changed.. then which is the correct one?
Look in the direction of the current vector and you'll see that the magnetic field direction is "circulating" clockwise in both cases. See your annotated attachments. Note that I only flipped the first image to get the second image.

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 615
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 706
so what should I infer from this..?? My doubt is still not clear... in 2nd & 3rd both pictures the direction of current is same but the direction of magnetic field is different so which one is wrong among 2nd & 3rd..how should we curl the fingers then..?? Are both right..??

ranju said:
... the direction of magnetic field is different ...

No. They are both in the clockwise direction, relative to the direction of current.

ohkk so magnetic field is clockwise relative to current but how do we know whether it is in upward or downward..??

ranju said:
ohkk so magnetic field is clockwise relative to current but how do we know whether it is in upward or downward..??

The guy's using the same hand in all three pictures so it just has to be consistent. You may be having a problem with the 'spatial relationship' thing. It can't work differently, depending how he positions his hand, can it? Same fingers and same thumb must work for all orientations. Do it with your own hand and see how there's no change.
The direction of the field is not 'up or down'. The magnetic field lines follow a circle, which has up. down. left and right at some point.

BTW, I would call this rule the Corkscrew rule (Cork screws are all right hand thread). Fleming's Right Hand Rule tells you the direction of induced current when a conductor is moved through a magnetic field. It has a partner rule (the Left Hand rule) - for the Motor effect.

Last edited:
see why I am being doubtful is in the attached fig.. according to book , the flux is upwards ..but how is so?? Can you please explain??

Attachments

• IMG_20140916_214925.jpg
    IMG_20140916_214925.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 568
ranju said:
see why I am being doubtful is in the attached fig.. according to book , the flux is upwards ..but how is so?? Can you please explain??

What flux? The field lines are closed curves. They point in all directions in a plane as you follow them round.
That figure doesn't mean anything to me - there is no current carrying wire with field lines round it.

the current is driven into top of the left coil , the corresponding flux is upward..! This is what given in the book regarding this circuit..

The dots indicate the coupling between the two inductors ( look up mutual inductance)- not that the flux is "up" - the diagram does not show physically how the coil is wound - it can be wound two ways around the core.

ranju said:
the current is driven into top of the left coil , the corresponding flux is upward..! This is what given in the book regarding this circuit..
Oh. Now I think I see what the problem is. Maybe this old thread might help.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=656294

ranju said:

You are trying to read too much into that sketch. The way those coils are drawn, there is no what of knowing which is the back of a turn or the front.

But I think you are mistaken from the start about this "right hand rule" and how to apply it (ref. my introduction of the name Fleming)
The 'Corkscrew Rule' or "Right Hand Grip" tells you the direction of the lines of force around a straight wire, so it doesn't relate directly to a coil, in any case. This link has a simple diagram to tell you the polarity of a solenoid - but the solenoid needs to be drawn so that you know which is back and front.

dlgoff said:
Oh. Now I think I see what the problem is. Maybe this old thread might help.
In this url.. many things are clear to me which I did'nt discussed about.. thanks for that.. but I am doubtful regarding the polarity ..in bothe loops of attached fig. current is approaching the dot so mutual inductance must be positive.. but in the equations given by gneil.. he took M as negative..!
why..??

sorry , in the first equ. He took +M only.. so is'nt it right that mutual inductance will be positive for the 2nd loop too..??

ranju said:
sorry , in the first equ. He took +M only.. so is'nt it right that mutual inductance will be positive for the 2nd loop too..??
Here are two images from a "www.faculty.umassd.edu/xtras/catls/resources/binarydoc/4598.ppt" that nicely shows how the dot convention is used with the mesh-current method.

attachment.php?attachmentid=73280&stc=1&d=1411053747.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=73281&stc=1&d=1411053747.jpg

Attachments

• Circuit Theory page 9.jpg
    Circuit Theory page 9.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,379
  • Circuit Theory page 8.jpg
    Circuit Theory page 8.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,502
Last edited by a moderator:
ranju said:

Going back to this post. What do you mean by "upward" and "downward"? There is no 'up or down' when a wheel is spinning on a horizontal axis - except when you look at just one particular part of the wheel.
And what has the next part of the thread got to do with this particular problem? Why not sort out one thing at a time and then use another thread to discuss induction between coupled coils?

According to this ppt.. when current enters the dotted terminal , the voltage induced is positive at dotted terminal..but in the attached fig.. it is negative at the dotted terminal.!

sophiecentaur;4855857} And what has the next part of the thread got to do with this particular problem? Why not sort out one thing at a time and then use another thread to discuss induction between coupled coils?[/QUOTE said:
I'hv discussed that thing with my teacher and its clear now after your points ..that there's something wrong with the article .. and you all were right ..! thank ou all for helping out..
and sorry for messing it all.. actually dgloff gave the link ..and then I started delving into that only..!

Glad it turned out right!
Don't hesitate to come back with more stuff. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of using the right hand thumb rule in curling fingers?

The right hand thumb rule is used to determine the direction of the induced magnetic field in a conductor when a current is passed through it. By curling the fingers of the right hand in the direction of the current, the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the right hand thumb rule used in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, the right hand thumb rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or in a solenoid. It is also used to determine the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field.

3. Can the right hand thumb rule be used for both AC and DC currents?

Yes, the right hand thumb rule can be used for both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents. It is a general rule that applies to any type of current flow.

4. Is the right hand thumb rule the same as the right hand grip rule?

No, the right hand grip rule and the right hand thumb rule are two different rules. The right hand grip rule is used to determine the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field, while the right hand thumb rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field itself.

5. Why is the right hand thumb rule commonly used instead of the left hand thumb rule?

The right hand thumb rule is commonly used because it follows the standard convention of positive current flow (from positive to negative) and the direction of conventional current flow is from positive to negative. The left hand thumb rule, on the other hand, follows the direction of electron flow which is opposite to the direction of conventional current flow.