Surge Protectors: Benefits & Effects on Home Appliances

In summary: So even if the surge went all the way to the breaker it would only trip for a tiny fraction of a second. And once the breaker trips, the circuit is open to the surge and all of the connected equipment is fried.
Splatapus
Questions about how useful surge protectors are.

1) Why is the circuit breaker not effective in acting as surge protection?

2) At home if for example I have my computer connected to surge protector, and surge protector connected to wall outlet. Then there is a sudden voltage spike in the electricity grid. My computer would be protected, but where would the electricity be routed to?
If it goes to the ground pin, then what about the other appliances connected to the wall socket without a surge protector? Wouldn't the surge just be directed into them? (assuming that the initial surge did not go into them somehow)

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. The breaker protects the wiring from a current overload. A normal household breaker usually has two disconnect thresholds. A over-current close to the breaker rating might take several seconds to trip but a very large current like a short circuit will trip almost immediately.
Either way the surge will get past the breaker.

2. Whole house Surge protection and good earth/ground connections at the main panel or utility meter is the best method to protect appliances from electricity grid. For the reasons you talk about plugin protectors by themselves usually provide marginal protection from those events.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,387874,00.html

Splatapus said:
Questions about how useful surge protectors are.

1) Why is the circuit breaker not effective in acting as surge protection?

2) At home if for example I have my computer connected to surge protector, and surge protector connected to wall outlet. Then there is a sudden voltage spike in the electricity grid. My computer would be protected, but where would the electricity be routed to?
If it goes to the ground pin, then what about the other appliances connected to the wall socket without a surge protector? Wouldn't the surge just be directed into them? (assuming that the initial surge did not go into them somehow)

To add to nsaspook's great response, look into the timeframes more -- Breaker or Fuse opening time is in the tens of milliseconds at the fastest. Surge currents (from nearby lightning strikes or whatever source) are in the tens of microseconds...

1. What is a surge protector?

A surge protector is a device that is designed to protect electronic devices from voltage spikes or surges in electricity. It works by diverting excess voltage to the grounding wire, preventing it from damaging the connected appliances.

2. How does a surge protector benefit home appliances?

A surge protector helps to prevent damage to home appliances by regulating the amount of electricity that reaches them. Without a surge protector, appliances are more vulnerable to voltage spikes, which can cause them to malfunction or even become permanently damaged.

3. What types of home appliances should be connected to a surge protector?

Any electronic device or appliance that is sensitive to voltage fluctuations should be connected to a surge protector. This includes computers, televisions, refrigerators, washing machines, and other household appliances.

4. What are the effects of not using a surge protector on home appliances?

Not using a surge protector can lead to damage or malfunction of home appliances. Voltage spikes can cause components to overheat, short circuit, or even catch fire, resulting in costly repairs or replacements.

5. How do I know if my surge protector is working properly?

Most surge protectors have a built-in indicator light that will turn off or change color if it has been damaged or overloaded. It is also important to periodically check the surge protector for any signs of wear or damage, and replace it if necessary.