Is it possible to completely switch personality types?

• Medical
  • Thread starter airbusman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the guitarist has lost some energy, become more depressive, and is more cautious about social interaction.
airbusman
Just a couple of months ago, I was a very gregarious, energetic person. Over time, however, I think I've lost some energy. Nowadays, I usually don't like talking at all because I think it's tiring. I just put my headphones on and play music to myself.

I'm a guitarist who has on stage experience, and whenever I played in the past, I was always jumping and running around on stage. I haven't played live since, but when I get the chance, I would probably be sitting down on stage. Nowadays, I sit more than usual.

These days, I'm a lot more wary about social interaction. I keep conversation to the most normal topics, and avoid anything that would cause a lot of excitement. To put it simply, I've become a bit boring!

One more thing: I've become a lot more depressed and cynical. No matter what, I cannot see myself in a good light. 99% of it has to do with my struggle with mental illness (I have OCD).

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, you haven't switched personality types. You're going through a depression.

I've been diagnosed with major depression and it seems to cycle. When I'm really low I suppose it could seem to someone else like my personality had altered.

airbusman said:
Just a couple of months ago, I was a very gregarious, energetic person. Over time, however, I think I've lost some energy. Nowadays, I usually don't like talking at all because I think it's tiring. I just put my headphones on and play music to myself.

I'm a guitarist who has on stage experience, and whenever I played in the past, I was always jumping and running around on stage. I haven't played live since, but when I get the chance, I would probably be sitting down on stage. Nowadays, I sit more than usual.

These days, I'm a lot more wary about social interaction. I keep conversation to the most normal topics, and avoid anything that would cause a lot of excitement. To put it simply, I've become a bit boring!

One more thing: I've become a lot more depressed and cynical. No matter what, I cannot see myself in a good light. 99% of it has to do with my struggle with mental illness (I have OCD).
We don't diagnose people online. If you think you have a problem, please see a medical professional. Good luck to you.

1. Is it possible to completely switch personality types?

No, it is not possible to completely switch personality types. Personality is a complex and stable trait that is shaped by a combination of genetics, upbringing, and life experiences. While certain aspects of personality may change or develop over time, a complete switch from one personality type to another is not possible.

2. Can therapy or medication help in switching personality types?

Therapy and medication can help individuals manage and cope with certain aspects of their personality, but they cannot completely change or switch a person's personality type. These treatments may be helpful in addressing specific traits or behaviors, but they cannot fundamentally alter one's personality type.

3. Are there any known cases of people completely switching personality types?

No, there are no known cases of people completely switching personality types. While some individuals may experience shifts in their personality over time, these changes are typically gradual and may be influenced by external factors such as life events or personal growth.

4. Can someone intentionally change their personality type?

While individuals may consciously work on certain aspects of their personality, such as becoming more outgoing or less anxious, it is not possible to intentionally change one's personality type. Personality is shaped by a combination of factors that are not entirely within our control, and attempting to completely change one's personality type can be harmful and ultimately unsuccessful.

5. Is it possible to have traits from multiple personality types?

Yes, it is possible for individuals to have traits from multiple personality types. While people are often categorized into specific personality types, these are simply generalizations and individuals may exhibit traits from different types depending on the situation or context. Additionally, personality is a complex and multifaceted trait, so it is not uncommon for individuals to have a combination of traits from different personality types.