Exponentiation Basics: Convert -ve Indices to +ve

• Thread starter Raabi
  • Start date
In summary, a new member of a forum posted a question about changing negative indices into positive. Another member asked for clarification and the original poster responded that they had solved the problem. A third member commented on the previous exchange.
Raabi
Hello everyone!

I am a new member of this forum and this is my first post. At the moment, I am looking for the solution for the following:

(x-m - a-m)/(x - a)​

I intend to change the -ve indices into +ve.

Thanks, in anticipation, for any help.

Regards.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello!

Ok, so what do negative indices mean? How would you express [itex]x^{-m}[/itex] with a positive index?

Thanks for the response, Mentallic. Yes, I meant that; but I have solved the problem. Have a nice time.

Please do not post a thread and then refuse to answer any questions about it! Mentallic was trying to find out if you knew that [itex]x^{-m}= \frac{1}{x^m}[/itex]

Halls, the guy did nothing wrong. If he claims to have figured out the problem then I'm sure he knows the answer to my question.

Good luck with your studies Raabi!

1. What is the rule for converting negative indices to positive?

The rule for converting negative indices to positive is to take the reciprocal of the base and change the sign of the exponent. For example, if we have a-n, it can be written as 1/an.

2. Why do we need to convert negative indices to positive?

Converting negative indices to positive allows us to simplify and solve exponential expressions more easily. It also helps to maintain consistency in our mathematical calculations.

3. Can we convert any negative index to positive?

No, we can only convert negative indices to positive when the base is a non-zero real number. If the base is equal to zero, the expression becomes undefined.

4. How do we convert a negative fractional index to positive?

To convert a negative fractional index to positive, we can rewrite it as a positive fractional index by taking the reciprocal of the base and changing the sign of the exponent. For example, a-1/2 can be written as 1/a1/2.

5. Are there any special cases when converting negative indices to positive?

Yes, there are two special cases when converting negative indices to positive. The first is when the exponent is -1, which always results in 1 regardless of the base. The second is when the exponent is -2, which results in the reciprocal of the square of the base.