Black holes and the centrifugal force paradox

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of black holes and the paradoxical effect of an object orbiting close to it feeling a centrifugal force pushing inward instead of outward. This effect has important implications for astrophysics and is explained by the equivalence principle, special relativity, and general features of black holes. The conversation also mentions a web search for related articles and a personal attempt to visualize this paradoxical event. It is noted that this situation may have its own limits due to cognitive bias.
joebox
Hi

Is someone interested in this topic ?

I'd like to share my idea with you, PF people. I also designed a "reverse geometry" to illustrate this paradoxical effect.

Thank you for your answer

Jean-Marc

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with this topic. Can you elaborate on it?

A web search came up with this:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/black-holes-and-the-centrifugal-for/

An object orbiting close to a black hole feels a centrifugal force pushing inward rather than outward. This paradoxical effect has important implications for astrophysics.

Unfortunately, you have to pay for the article. I didn't find much more than that. There is this arXiv article, however:
An intuitive approach to inertial forces and the centrifugal force paradox in general relativity

As the velocity of a rocket in a circular orbit near a black hole increases, the outwardly directed rocket thrust must increase to keep the rocket in its orbit. This feature might appear paradoxical from a Newtonian viewpoint, but we show that it follows naturally from the equivalence principle together with special relativity and a few general features of black holes.

This appears to relate to frame dragging. I'm not sure if, or how this works from a Newtonian gravity perspective.

Yes I read this article 20 years ago written by by Marek Abramovic in the 70s. By Fortunately, you don't need knowledge in mathematics to understand...
I'm try to "design" a reverse geometry to visualize this "paradoxical event" and I was wondering who could give me some feed-back.
Moreover I think that this paradoxical situation has its own limit linked to our cognitive bias (see eg "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne that explains the inside of the black hole, that allows to make the link between both statements).

Thanks

and thank you for the links !

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape its grasp. This is caused by an incredibly dense and compact object, such as a collapsed star, with a powerful gravitational force.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses, causing a singularity - a point of infinite density and zero volume. The gravitational force becomes so strong that it traps everything that gets too close, including light.

3. What is the centrifugal force paradox?

The centrifugal force paradox is the apparent contradiction between the force of gravity and the centrifugal force experienced by objects orbiting a rotating black hole. According to Newton's laws of motion, objects should fly off tangentially due to centrifugal force, but the strong gravitational pull keeps them in orbit.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole's event horizon - the point of no return. Once an object crosses this boundary, it is trapped by the black hole's strong gravitational pull and cannot escape.

5. Can we see black holes?

Black holes do not emit any light, so they cannot be seen directly. However, we can detect their presence by observing the effects they have on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light from stars and gas spiraling into the black hole.