Racemic mixture effect on light

In summary: No, there isn't. You can calculate it using quantum chemistry but not very precisely. It is also not correct to say that a chiral substance is polarizing the light. Rather it rotates the plane of polarization. That's also why a racemic mixture doesn't act like two crossed polarisators.
MathewsMD
Given a racemic mixture with both isomers being optically active, why is it that light can still pass through? If I am not mistaken (this may be completely wrong): the two isomers of a compound, when optically active, polarize light in a plane perpendicular the other. (If this is wrong, please tell me, since that will clear a lot of confusion.)

Given the above statement, if lights was propagated through two different molecules that polarize light in perpendicular planes, wouldn't there be no resultant light exiting the medium?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do all Bronsted-Lowry Acid/Bases work w/ Lewis theory?

Are all Bronsted-Lowry acid/bases considered acids/bases under Lewis' acid-base theory? I believe my professor mentioned this in passing, though I am not certain if that was out of context or not.

Water is amphiprotic, correct? It is considered as a Bronsted-Lowry acid and base. Isn't it only a Lewis by itself? Am I missing something? Are there any other compounds like this that are not acids or bases according to Lewis' theory, but are according to Bronsted-Lowry's theory?

MathewsMD said:
the two isomers of a compound, when optically active, polarize light in a plane perpendicular the other

Not perpendicular. They slightly rotate the light, but every single molecule by a very tiny angle.

Borek said:
Not perpendicular. They slightly rotate the light, but every single molecule by a very tiny angle.

Thank you! Is there any way to estimate/determine the angle the light is polarized purely by looking at the structure of the molecule?

MathewsMD said:
Thank you! Is there any way to estimate/determine the angle the light is polarized purely by looking at the structure of the molecule?

No, there isn't. You can calculate it using quantum chemistry but not very precisely. It is also not correct to say that a chiral substance is polarizing the light. Rather it rotates the plane of polarization. That's also why a racemic mixture doesn't act like two crossed polarisators.

What is a racemic mixture?

A racemic mixture is a type of mixture that contains equal amounts of two enantiomers, or mirror-image molecules, that have the same physical properties but differ in their chemical properties.

How does a racemic mixture affect light?

A racemic mixture has no net effect on light because the two enantiomers cancel out each other's optical activity. This means that the mixture does not rotate the plane of polarized light.

Why is the racemic mixture effect on light important?

The racemic mixture effect on light is important because it allows scientists to distinguish between pure enantiomers, which have different chemical properties, and racemic mixtures, which do not.

What is the difference between a racemic mixture and a chiral mixture?

A racemic mixture contains equal amounts of two enantiomers, while a chiral mixture contains different amounts of each enantiomer. Chiral mixtures can have different effects on light, depending on the ratio of enantiomers present.

How can the racemic mixture effect on light be used in research?

The racemic mixture effect on light can be used to study the behavior and properties of enantiomers in mixtures. It can also be used in analytical techniques, such as polarimetry, to determine the purity of a sample or to identify an unknown substance.