Good chemistry books for beginners

In summary, for people with limited understanding of science, a good place to start is with basic texts aimed at high school students. Alternatively, someone with little knowledge of chemistry could try a general chemistry textbook.
caliban07
Hi what would be some good books for helping to understand chemistry for beginners?

I'm not sure what kind of level of understanding this forum is aimed at or if it is (or can be) made to accommodate people who have very limited understanding of science. Unfortunately I didn't take science seriously when I was at school and it's not something I thought I was going need to understand at the time.

As I've grown older there are certain aspects of my life that use large volumes of science that I would really like to be able to understand. Unfortunately most of the stuff I read on here goes over my head because I am missing the 'building blocks' that are used to help me understand some of the conversation and it would be foolish if me to pretend I can understand things when in coming in at a level way beyond my knowledge.

Where would be a good place in terms of reading to start getting a better understanding chemistry. (Please don't say go back to school)

I don't know what level of understanding the forum expects or if this forum is aimed at undergraduates/graduates/academic personnel so I apologise if I'm out of place here.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you know nothing probably best starting point would be one of the basic texts for HS (or equivalent school) students. Chemguide site that I linked you to in the buffer thread is more or less free version of such a thing.

Alternatively you can try your luck with some General Chemistry textbook - it should contain the same basic material, just already on the higher level.

Good introductory books include the ones by Zumdahl or Atkins.

Thanks to both. I've tried a free online course but I learn better by having a book at my side. I do literally know very little but I consider myself bright enough to pick most subjects up quickly provided I have the right learning material.

Hello there,
It's great to hear that you are interested in learning more about chemistry and are looking for some good resources to help you understand the subject. I would recommend starting with a basic introductory chemistry textbook, such as "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward. This book covers the fundamental concepts of chemistry in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it a great resource for beginners.

Additionally, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy and Crash Course Chemistry which offer video lessons and practice problems to help you build a strong foundation in chemistry. These resources are free and accessible to anyone, regardless of their level of understanding.

Another option could be to enroll in an online introductory chemistry course or attend a local community college for a basic chemistry class. This way, you can learn from a qualified instructor and have a structured learning environment.

I understand that going back to school may not be feasible for everyone, but there are many ways to learn and improve your understanding of chemistry. I hope these suggestions help and wish you all the best on your learning journey.

What are some good chemistry books for beginners?

Some good chemistry books for beginners include "Chemistry Essentials for Dummies" by John T. Moore and "Chemistry: A Very Short Introduction" by Peter Atkins.

What topics should a beginner's chemistry book cover?

A good beginner's chemistry book should cover the basic concepts of chemistry such as atoms, molecules, chemical reactions, and the periodic table. It should also include practical applications of chemistry in daily life.

What makes a chemistry book suitable for beginners?

A chemistry book suitable for beginners should use simple language and explanations to make complex concepts easy to understand. It should also provide visual aids such as diagrams and illustrations to aid in understanding.

Are there any online resources for learning chemistry?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning chemistry such as Khan Academy, Crash Course Chemistry, and Chemguide. These resources offer videos, tutorials, and practice problems for beginners.

Do I need any prior knowledge to read a beginner's chemistry book?

No, a good beginner's chemistry book should assume no prior knowledge and start from the basics. However, having a basic understanding of math and algebra can be helpful in understanding some concepts in chemistry.