If the earth's core was to abruptly turn solid

• Thread starter Mr.CROWLER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core Solid
In summary, the magnetic field of the Earth is generated by the interaction between the solid inner core and the liquid outer core. If the outer core were to become solid, the magnetic field would collapse. However, this would not happen instantly as the rest of the Earth is not entirely solid and would take time to melt. The timeline for the magnetic field to disappear completely would depend on the rate of melting and the formation of superplumes, which could take thousands of years.
Mr.CROWLER
How long before our magnetic field disappeared and how long after that would we be dead due to radiation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The core is solid, at least the inner part. If the outer part and the mantle would become solid, there wouldn't be anything keeping a magnetic field up (apart from slight magnetizations of the materials).

Our main shielding against radiation is the atmosphere, and the magnetic field frequently (on geological timescales) reverses its orientation, with phases of very weak fields in between. As you can see, those phases are not dangerous. They might be problematic for power grids and some electronics, but that's something we can handle.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I'm pretty sure the core is molten.

The inner part is solid, the outer part is liquid, I made my post clearer in that aspect.

Likes ComplexVar89
Mr.CROWLER said:
How long before our magnetic field disappeared and how long after that would we be dead due to radiation?

I have read that if the Earth ceased to generate its magnetic field it would take 20,000 years for it to disappear completely. I don't know if that is really true, though.

What does "ceased to generate" mean then? The magnetic field is nothing that can sustain itself, without a current flow or permanent magnetization is does not exist.

As the question for the magnetic field is answered we could turn to the thermal effects. How long would it take for the released melting heat to reach the surface?

Do you have a scenario where melting heat gets released (so the material gets hotter) and the whole Earth gets solid at the same time?

mfb said:
Do you have a scenario where melting heat gets released (so the material gets hotter) and the whole Earth gets solid at the same time?

This thread is about a sudden phase transition of the Earth's core. A scenario where the whole Earth gets solid would be another topic.

DrStupid said:
This thread is about a sudden phase transition of the Earth's core. A scenario where the whole Earth gets solid would be another topic.

no, its the point of this topic

the magnetic field won't suddenly/permanently collapse unless the core suddenly/permanently stops rotating and that won't happen unless the outer liquid core suddenly/permanently becomes solid

Its the interaction between the solid inner core and the liquid outer core that generates the magnetic field
its a MHD generatorDave

davenn said:
no, its the point of this topic

the magnetic field won't suddenly/permanently collapse unless the core suddenly/permanently stops rotating and that won't happen unless the outer liquid core suddenly/permanently becomes solid

No, you have equated the whole Earth turning solid (which is NOT the topic of this thread) to the inner and outer core turning solid (which IS the topic of this thread). I'm assuming of course that you realize that the inner and outer core do not make up the entire earth. I am agreeing w/ DrStupid and I suspect that you actually agree w/ him as well, but had some misunderstanding about his post.

phinds said:
No, you have equated the whole Earth turning solid (which is NOT the topic of this thread) to the inner and outer core turning solid (which IS the topic of this thread). I'm assuming of course that you realize that the inner and outer core do not make up the entire earth. I am agreeing w/ DrStupid and I suspect that you actually agree w/ him as well, but had some misunderstanding about his post.

No I haven't, the rest of the Earth is already basically solid ... its only the outer core that's liquid. Then transitioning into a plastic mantle
If the outer core solidified, then the inner core cannot rotate within it and the generator will stop and the magnetic field will collapse

The don't call it solid Earth geophysics for nothing :wink:

Dave

Mr.CROWLER said:
... So does anybody know how long we would have our magnetic field after the core becomes completely solid? Would it disappear instantly?

mfb gave you that answer in post #6

davenn said:
No I haven't, the rest of the Earth is already basically solid ... its only the outer core that's liquid.

You're right, obviously. I was equating the core turning sold with it being a separate ball inside a thick shell, and moving independently, where as I was equating a "solid earth" as being the whole thing one solid ball. That's why I was seeing it differently.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened.

davenn said:
the rest of the Earth is already basically solid

The mantle convections show that the rest is not solid and even if it would be solid now it would melt if the outer core abruptly turns solid. My question is, how long it would take for the resulting superplumes to reach the surface.

1. What would happen if the earth's core suddenly turned solid?

If the earth's core were to abruptly turn solid, it would have a significant impact on the planet's geology and atmosphere. The solid core would result in a decrease in the earth's magnetic field, which would cause a decrease in protection from solar radiation. This could lead to an increase in harmful UV radiation and disrupt communication and navigation systems that rely on the magnetic field.

2. How would the earth's rotation be affected by a solid core?

If the earth's core were to turn solid, it would have a direct impact on the planet's rotation. The solid inner core is responsible for providing the planet's spin and maintaining its rotation speed. With a solid core, it is possible that the earth's rotation could slow down or even stop, leading to major consequences for the planet's climate and ecosystems.

3. Can a solid core cause earthquakes and volcanic eruptions?

It is unlikely that a solid core would directly cause earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. However, the sudden change in the earth's internal structure could potentially trigger seismic activity and volcanic eruptions in the short term. Over time, the solid core would also affect the movement of tectonic plates, potentially leading to more frequent and intense earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

4. Would humans be able to survive if the earth's core turned solid?

The sudden solidification of the earth's core would have a catastrophic impact on the planet, making it difficult for humans to survive. The decrease in the magnetic field would result in increased exposure to harmful radiation, while the change in the earth's rotation could lead to extreme weather patterns and changes in the planet's climate. Additionally, the disruption in communication and navigation systems could make it challenging to sustain human life on earth.

5. How likely is it for the earth's core to turn solid?

The earth's core is made up of primarily iron and nickel, which are solid at extremely high temperatures and pressures. However, the core remains in a liquid state due to the intense heat generated by radioactive decay and the earth's own gravitational pressure. The chances of the core suddenly turning solid are incredibly slim, as it would require a significant and sudden change in the earth's internal processes, which is highly unlikely to occur.