Time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass at the end

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to derive the time period equation of a spring mass system while accounting for the mass of the spring. The goal is to find an approach that does not use energy analysis and is similar to deriving the equation of motion for a massless spring with an attached mass. The conversation also touches on assumptions about the distribution of mass along the spring and references to an approximate solution that includes the spring mass.
thephysicist
I want to know the way to derive the time period equation of a spring mass system accounting for the mass of the spring but not using the energy analysis method but by proceeding in the same way as we do by ignoring the mass of the spring. Please help. I did not find any texts at my level. Any links would suffice gratefully.

Physics news on Phys.org
What assumptions are you making about the distribution of mass along the length of the spring?

Uniformly distributed.

thephysicist said:
I want to know the way to derive the time period equation of a spring mass system accounting for the mass of the spring but not using the energy analysis method but by proceeding in the same way as we do by ignoring the mass of the spring. Please help. I did not find any texts at my level. Any links would suffice gratefully.

I did a Google search on "mass on heavy spring" and found loads of hits. I am not sure what your level is but how does this link suit you (it was top of my list)?

Thanks for the link but this derivation also uses energy analysis. I want to find an approach that is similar to deriving the equation of motion of a massless spring with an attached mass.

The equations of motion for the spring without an extra mass on the end are basically the same derivation as the wave equations for longitudinal waves (not transverse waves in a string under tension).

The mass on the end just changes the boundary conditions at the end.

You will find plenty of references to an approximate solution that includes m/3, where m is the mass of the spring. The approximations is to assumes the spring mass is small enough not to affect the vibrating shape of the spring. That seems to be what sophiecentaur's reference is doing, but it just states the m/3 factor without attempting to justify it.

1. What is the time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass at the end?

The time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass at the end is the amount of time it takes for the spring to complete one full oscillation, or back and forth motion, when the mass is released and allowed to swing freely.

2. How is the time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass at the end calculated?

The time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass at the end is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period, m is the mass at the end of the spring, and k is the spring constant. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for the spring constant or mass, depending on the given variables.

3. Does the mass attached to the spring affect the time period?

Yes, the mass attached to the spring does affect the time period. As the mass increases, the time period also increases, meaning that it takes longer for the spring to complete one full oscillation. This is because a heavier mass requires more force to move and therefore, the spring takes longer to stretch and compress.

4. How does the spring constant affect the time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass?

The spring constant has a direct relationship with the time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass. As the spring constant increases, the time period decreases, meaning that the spring will complete one full oscillation in a shorter amount of time. This is because a higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, which requires less time to stretch and compress.

5. Can the time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass be affected by external factors?

Yes, the time period of a heavy spring with an attached mass can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and the initial amplitude of the oscillation. These factors can slightly alter the time period, but the equation T = 2π√(m/k) still holds true for an ideal scenario without any external influences.