How much vitamin (A, B, etc.) can I take in one day?

• Thread starter Nick666
  • Start date
In summary, you should not take more than the RDA of vitamins without a doctor's supervision, and should look for a non-therapeutic version of vitamins to abuse.
Nick666
Before side effects kick in. 20 times the normal dose ? 100 times ? Is there such a thing as acute hypervitaminosis or will it develop in the following days ? If I take a 10 times normal dose, must I wait 10+10 days or more before taking a new high dosage ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Nick666 said:
Before side effects kick in. 20 times the normal dose ? 100 times ? Is there such a thing as acute hypervitaminosis or will it develop in the following days ? If I take a 10 times normal dose, must I wait 10+10 days or more before taking a new high dosage ?

Why do you ask? You can probably look up the LD50 dose of each (if there even is one), but that's higher than when you start to have side effects.

i found some multivitamin supplement that's like a vannila flavoured chocolate bar that tastes like heaven

Nick666 said:
i found some multivitamin supplement that's like a vannila flavoured chocolate bar that tastes like heaven

What does that have to do with the question you asked in your OP?

This article is an intro to hypervitaminosis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis

The fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K are retained by the body longer than the water-soluble vitamins, so overdosing on these can be done without realizing it. Still, it is possible to overdose on some of the B-complex vitamins. You should discuss this with your physician.

Just like you shouldn't take too many antacid tablets (because they taste good), don't abuse vitamins, either. With all the different varieties of candy bars around, you should be able to find a non-therapeutic version to abuse instead.

Do not take more than the RDA of vitamins unless directed to do so by an accredited doctor. We do not give out medical advice here. See a doctor if you think you have medical issues that need treatment.

1. How much vitamin A can I take in one day?

The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for vitamin A is 900 micrograms for men and 700 micrograms for women. It is generally safe to take up to 3,000 micrograms of vitamin A per day, but taking more than this amount can lead to toxicity symptoms.

2. Can I take too much vitamin B in one day?

It is possible to take too much vitamin B in one day, as excessive amounts can lead to toxicity symptoms. The RDA varies for each type of vitamin B, but most B vitamins have a tolerable upper intake level (UL) of 100 mg per day.

3. How much vitamin C can I take in one day?

The RDA for vitamin C is 90 mg for men and 75 mg for women. It is generally safe to take up to 2,000 mg of vitamin C per day, but taking more than this amount can cause gastrointestinal discomfort and diarrhea.

4. Is there a limit to how much vitamin D I can take in one day?

The RDA for vitamin D is 600 IU for individuals under 70 years old and 800 IU for those over 70. It is generally safe to take up to 4,000 IU of vitamin D per day, but excessive amounts can lead to toxicity symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and kidney damage.

5. What is the recommended daily allowance for vitamin E?

The RDA for vitamin E is 15 mg for both men and women. It is generally safe to take up to 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day, but taking more than this amount can lead to an increased risk of bleeding and other side effects.