Classical Mechanics: Lightly Damped Oscillator Driven Near Resonance

In summary: Just remember that you can always pull constants out of integrals. In summary, the problem involves finding the fraction of energy lost per cycle for a lightly damped oscillator driven near resonance in the steady state. The professor suggests starting with ΔE = ∫Fdx, where E is the energy lost and F is the force of friction. The solution involves using the identity sin(z)=[e^(iz)-e^(-iz)]/2i, or taking the general solution as the real part of Ce^(st), where s = -b + iω and C is a complex constant. After some simplification and integration, the equation for energy loss can be found.
RylonMcknz
Hello Physics Forum! I have a question:

The problem: For a lightly damped oscillator being driven near resonance in the steady state, show that the fraction of its energy that is lost per cycle can be approximated by a constant (something like 2pi, which is to be determined) divided by the Q factor (Q is defined as the resonant frequency of a driven damped oscillator divided by 2*β, where β is the damping parameter).

My professor gave this hint to get us started: ΔE = ∫Fdx. Where E is the energy lost, and F is the force of friction. We are supposed to integrate from 0 to τ(cycle/period), and the professor suggested to change dx to (dx/dt)dt = vdt.

I have spent much time attempting to figure this out. I think that the frictional force is F=-bv, where b is some positive constant and v is the velocity. I try to use the solution of the differential equation for such motion, which is x(t)=Ae^(-βt)cos(ωt-δ). I take the derivative of this to get v(t). The second term in v(t) can be ignored because the damping is light. So I have:

ΔE = -b∫v^2dt from 0 to τ, where v(t)≈-Ae^(-βt)ωsin(ωt-δ). This integral makes a nasty mess that doesn't get me anything useful. I think I need to simplify this further by approximation, but I don't know which assumptions to make.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track! Just do the integral. It might help to rewrite the sine in terms of exps!

Should I expand sine as a series or use the identity sin(z)=[e^(iz)-e^(-iz)]/2i?

Use the identity sin(z)=[e^(iz)-e^(-iz)]/2i.

Or better still, take the general solution as the real part of ##Ce^{st}## where ##s = -b + i\omega## and ##C## is a complex constant.

RylonMcknz said:
Hello Physics Forum! I have a question:

The problem: For a lightly damped oscillator being driven near resonance in the steady state, show that the fraction of its energy that is lost per cycle can be approximated by a constant (something like 2pi, which is to be determined) divided by the Q factor (Q is defined as the resonant frequency of a driven damped oscillator divided by 2*β, where β is the damping parameter).

My professor gave this hint to get us started: ΔE = ∫Fdx. Where E is the energy lost, and F is the force of friction. We are supposed to integrate from 0 to τ(cycle/period), and the professor suggested to change dx to (dx/dt)dt = vdt.

I have spent much time attempting to figure this out. I think that the frictional force is F=-bv, where b is some positive constant and v is the velocity. I try to use the solution of the differential equation for such motion, which is x(t)=Ae^(-βt)cos(ωt-δ). I take the derivative of this to get v(t). The second term in v(t) can be ignored because the damping is light. So I have:

ΔE = -b∫v^2dt from 0 to τ, where v(t)≈-Ae^(-βt)ωsin(ωt-δ). This integral makes a nasty mess that doesn't get me anything useful. I think I need to simplify this further by approximation, but I don't know which assumptions to make.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

As a sanity check, you can work the problem again with Q being defined as reactance over resistance. You should get the same answer. :)

Thank you everyone for the help. I've been working the problem when I have time. When I put sine in the exp form and integrate, it looks terrible. But a further hint from the professor says that I should be looking for ΔE/E. I think that is the key, but I'm still unsure. I'll be able to work it further when I get home. Again, thanks so much for the help.

I'm still unable to solve the problem. I can't seem to make this integral manageable enough to continue. I attempted to use Wolfram Alpha to integrate before and after putting sine in exp form, but I'm still unable to move forward. I feel like there must be some terms I should be neglecting because of the light damping.

Try this:

Determine the energy dissipation per cycle. (I know, this is cheating, but you'll get some great insights!)

Eric

I still don't see, where there might be a problem. You have an integral of the form
[tex]\int \mathrm{d} t \exp(-a t) \sin^2(b t)[/tex]
with constants [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. Now you write
[tex]\sin(b t)=\frac{\exp(\mathrm{i} b t)-\exp(-\mathrm{i} b t)}{2 \mathrm{i}},[/tex]
take the square and multiply it out. Then you end with integrals of the form
[tex]\int \mathrm{d} t \exp(c t),[/tex]
and over a constant which are really easy to deal with.

1. What is a lightly damped oscillator?

A lightly damped oscillator is a system that can oscillate or vibrate with minimal damping or resistance. This means that the oscillations will continue for a long time without losing much energy. In classical mechanics, it is often described as a spring-mass system with a small amount of friction or drag.

2. How is an oscillator driven near resonance?

An oscillator can be driven near resonance by applying a periodic force or input at the same frequency as the natural frequency of the oscillator. This results in a large amplitude of oscillation due to constructive interference between the driving force and the natural oscillations of the system.

3. What happens when a lightly damped oscillator is driven near resonance?

When a lightly damped oscillator is driven near resonance, the amplitude of oscillation increases significantly. This is because the driving force adds energy to the system at the same frequency as the natural frequency, resulting in a resonance response. The system also experiences a phase shift, where the oscillations are slightly out of phase with the driving force.

4. How does damping affect a driven oscillator near resonance?

Damping can have a significant impact on a driven oscillator near resonance. In a lightly damped system, the amplitude of oscillation will increase significantly, but eventually, the energy will be dissipated due to damping, and the amplitude will decrease. In a heavily damped system, the amplitude of oscillation will not increase as much, and the system will reach a steady-state oscillation with a smaller amplitude.

5. What are some practical applications of a lightly damped oscillator driven near resonance?

There are many practical applications of a lightly damped oscillator driven near resonance, including musical instruments, tuning forks, and pendulum clocks. It is also used in resonant circuits for electrical oscillators and in seismic sensors for detecting earthquakes. This phenomenon is also utilized in resonance-based technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and atomic force microscopy (AFM).