MHD Generators - What electrodes to use?

In summary: DC would also be an option.In summary, using AC instead of DC will help to avoid corrosion and plates on the electrodes, while using tungsten welding rods may be a good option for experimentation.
Custom1
Hi everyone,

What type of electrodes should I use for an AC saltwater MHD generator? I need something that is efficient yet corrosive resistant.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Custom1 said:
Hi everyone,

What type of electrodes should I use for an AC saltwater MHD generator? I need something that is efficient yet corrosive resistant.

Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

What have you found in your research/reading so far?

Custom1 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Do you have access to tungsten welding rods? We used those for all kinds of plasma probes.

I don't currently have access to tungsten welding rods but I can sure buy some on ebay.

Thanks!

Custom1 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
I think you should be prepared to have to experiment; what is normally thought of as being corrosion resistant my not be in the particular conditions experienced in your apparatus. (I'm making a general comment about electrodes in general.)

You have a steady flow of brine, and will pipe it through an alternating magnetic field? Is that how it works? A pair of electrodes in the pipe wall will pick off the AC voltage. Are you making something substantial, or a "proof of concept" student demo?

Is your goal measurement of flow or propulsion ?

Industrial magnetic flowmeters use materials like stainless or titanium, see page 7 here:
http://w3app.siemens.com/mcms/infocenter/dokumentencenter/sc/pi/Documentsu20Brochures/E20001-A450-P710-V2-7600.pdf

The ones I've seen were small, maybe 2 inch pipe. They used high impedance amplifiers to pick off the millivolt signal. They were my first encounter with concept of "driven shield"..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a student but it is more of a proof of concept small scale project. I'm open to experimentation of different materials. Any uggestions?

Hi Jim,

It is measurement of flow. I will certainly try your suggestions.

Sorry for not quoting people I have been replying to. I'm on my phone and the quote button isn't working properly. I hope I'm not confusing anyone.

Any uggestions?
i think you should use AC so as to not plate anything out of the seawater onto your electrodes and to avoid electrolytic voltages.

1. How do MHD generators work?

MHD generators use the principles of magnetohydrodynamics to convert the kinetic energy of a moving fluid, such as hot gases, into electricity. The fluid passes through a magnetic field, which induces a current in the fluid due to the movement of charged particles, creating an electrical potential.

2. What types of electrodes are used in MHD generators?

The two main types of electrodes used in MHD generators are anode and cathode electrodes. Anode electrodes are typically made of a heat-resistant material, such as graphite, and are used to collect the positively charged particles from the fluid. Cathode electrodes are usually made of a metal, such as copper, and are used to collect the negatively charged particles.

3. What factors determine the choice of electrodes in MHD generators?

The choice of electrodes in MHD generators depends on several factors, including the type of fluid being used, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, and the desired power output. The electrodes must also be able to withstand the high temperatures and corrosive environment of the MHD process.

4. What are the advantages of using ceramic electrodes in MHD generators?

Ceramic electrodes have several advantages in MHD generators, including high temperature and corrosion resistance, low thermal expansion, and good electrical insulation properties. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other electrode materials, making them a more cost-effective option in the long run.

5. Can different types of electrodes be used together in MHD generators?

Yes, it is possible to use different types of electrodes together in MHD generators. For example, some generators may use both anode and cathode electrodes made of different materials to optimize performance and efficiency. However, compatibility and proper installation must be considered when using different types of electrodes in the same generator.