Finding Mass Through Percent by Volume

In summary, my friend recommends using the molar mass of the gases to find pressure instead of using percentage by volume. The pressure inside the cylinder would then be 58.83 kPa.
JeweliaHeart
A gas analysis on a gaseous mixture gives 60% methane and 40% ethylene by volume. You need to store 12.3 kg of the mixture in a cylinder of volume 0.0514 m^3 at a maximum temperature of 45°C. Determine the pressure (kPa) inside the cylinder by:

a. assuming that the mixture obeys ideal gas law

b. using the compressibility factor method

I approached part a of this problem by taking both 60 and 40 percent of 12.3 kg to find the mass of the methane and ethylene, respectively in the ideal gas mixture. A friend has informed me that this is not the proper approach because 60% and 40% are percentages by volume, not mass fractions, and therefore he recommended that I should instead take 60% and 40% of the molar masses of methane and ethylene instead.

I don't understand what percent volume has to do with molar mass. Why would I multiply the percentage by volume times the respective molar masses if I want to find the number of moles methane and ethylene in the compound?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I follow your friend advice (I am not saying it is wrong).

Assuming ideal gas behavior volume ratio and molar ratio are identical. That means you have

[tex]\frac{n_{methane}}{n_{ethane}}=\frac{6}{4}[/tex]

[tex]M_{methane}\times{n_{methane}}+M_{ethane}\times{n_{ethane}}=12.3~kg[/tex]

Can you go from there?

Yes. That makes sense above. I am just trying to figure out how what you are saying translates over to multiplying the molar masses of methane and ethylene by the volume percentages, which is what my friend was doing.

I tried solving part a using what you did above and what my friend did and got nearly identical answers using both methods. However, his method is still not as intuitive to me.

My friend advises I do it his way:0.6(16.04 kg/kmol of Methane) +0.4(28.04 kg/kmol of Ethylene)

to get the average molecular weight of the combined gas mixture.

After that, he uses 12.3 kg to find the number of moles of gas in the mixture and uses pv=nrt to find pressure.

Last edited:
Using weighted average molar mass should yield the same answer (it is like calculating number of moles of air using molar mass of 29).

What is percent by volume?

Percent by volume is a unit of measurement used to express the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is calculated by dividing the volume of the solute by the volume of the entire solution and multiplying by 100.

How do you find mass through percent by volume?

To find the mass of a solute in a solution using percent by volume, you will need to know the volume of the solution and the percent by volume of the solute. You can then use the formula: mass = volume x (percent by volume/100).

Why is it important to know the mass of a substance in a solution?

Knowing the mass of a substance in a solution is important for various reasons. It can help determine the strength or potency of the solution, as well as ensure the proper dosage is given. It is also important for accurately following a scientific procedure or experiment.

Can percent by volume be converted to other units of concentration?

Yes, percent by volume can be converted to other units of concentration such as molarity or mass percent. However, the conversion will depend on the specific solute and solution being measured.

Are there any limitations to using percent by volume?

Yes, there are some limitations to using percent by volume as a unit of concentration. It may not accurately reflect the true concentration of a solution if the densities of the solute and solvent are significantly different. Additionally, percent by volume does not take into account the molecular weight of the solute, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement.